Fake Rainbow Toned Coins - Artificial Colors

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JimMayor007, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

I have read this thread fairly thoroughly and am very impressed and educated. NGC has a lot of these threads, yet with lot of insults and wild accusations and character attacks. This was a great example of let's agree to disagree.

I have bought toned coins and have been more interested in them of late. Some things I feel after all these posts. I do not agree that album toning or envelope toning is AT. Most beautifully toned coins came from these or bags (Morgans) that MOST people would consider this NT I think?. I specifically bought a Dansco Album for my Lincolns that I want to tone. I hope they do and soon. I think the TPG's have a lot to lose if they started putting QT on the slabs. Those who paid 10-20 x bid will be furious and will have lost a lot of money IMHO- the market for toned coins would be shaken. Do we need any more financial dissappointments right now? Coins are at least holding their value nicely IMO.
    I mostly agree with Doug- if you can't tell who cares. Show a toned coin to a non-numismatic person along side a blast white coin. I would estimate that most of them would pic the nicely toned coin over the white one. Besides if Mr White hadn't emphasized "White is best" (get it?) in his book Coin Chemistry we might not have so many overdipped coins. I'll take an AT coin over a dull washed out coin all day long. I think many would agree with this point. That's all I can say as novice compared to you expert types.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

One other point I forgot to make. The TPG's being inconsistent helps their bottom line. It's like going to the horse races- you just might win so you keep coming back. Putting QT on the coins and being consistent would eliminate a whole profession for some. It would result in less graded coins. Dipping might go on the rise-UGH.
    I also think that TPG's slab coins to protect those coins for future generations. If all coins in the entire world (rare or high grade) were slabbed there would be a lot less damage to coins, whether by accident or intent.This could be both altruistic (for the good of the hobby/profession) and self-serving. Das alls I gots to says bout that.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Boss,

Let me understand what you are saying. You are saying the TPG's are inconsistent on purpose. I can't agree with that. Consistency is all they have, without it, they are out of business.

Also you are saying, if they put QT on the labels, then the coin doctors would be out of business. This is exactly what the TPG's want. It is the entire reason they body bag coins for AT (see post#91). It seems that you were disagreeing with the QT idea but supporting it's feasibility at the same time.

Whether it would result in less coin submissions is unclear. I would think the doctors will still sumbit knowing they would get a graded slabbed coin in return and hoping it would not have a QT designation.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Boss, While I don't think you give yourself enough credit with the "novice" talk, I think you make a few good points that are worth repeating:

"think the TPG's have a lot to lose if they started putting QT on the slabs. Those who paid 10-20 x bid will be furious and will have lost a lot of money IMHO- the market for toned coins would be shaken."

and

"The TPG's being inconsistent helps their bottom line. It's like going to the horse races- you just might win so you keep coming back. Putting QT on the coins and being consistent would eliminate a whole profession for some. It would result in less graded coins. Dipping might go on the rise-UGH."

Well said, and part of the reason, IMO, the status-quo is here to stay....Mike

p.s. IMO, your words above are not "novice" observations by any stretch of the imagination. :)

6. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Boss: I think the QT designation would cause the whole community to question their own slabbed toned coins. That would the same as CAC as far as I am concerned. All of a sudden people would be fearful and unsure of their own toned coins and all potential purchases. Having a QT on the coin would be like saying "altered surfaces" , cleaned, etc.. This would have the same effect as "genuine". Anyone bought a genuine PCGS lately? Unless it's an ultra rarity I don't think you'll be doing this any time soon, unless you want to crack out and sell raw which would actually make more money on the coin. Are they going to start a registry set of genuines with a big "1" point per coin. 50 coins=50 points. Yippy!

Also I am not sure if the TPG's want the doctors out of business. I think we would love to be a fly on the wall in the closed door P&L reviews at PCGS and NGC with the big dogs. They are a for profit business. Coin doctors create multiple resubmissions trying to either get their coins graded or upgraded. Strict criteria will stop this. (Lehigh- I think?? you already admitted they don't follow their stated criteria, so they are inconsistent). Lot's of people affected. I think the system is fine the way it is. If your good enough to fool the TPG's who by experience alone are the experts (imagine looking at coins 40 hours a week year after year and having to get agreement with 2 other professionals on the grade??) I for once, entirely agree with Doug here. Also, I think toned coins are more attractive than non toned and frankly if the coins are hairlined or damaged under the toning then the coin is actually protected. It's better than verdigris filling in the damage which is often the case.

For Mike: I don't really know how to quote 2 different poeple in posts without cut and paste. I will lay off the novice references. I have only been involved in coins a couple years. I feel most here have been doing it a lot longer so I don't feel I have earned a lot of speaking power. If you go on Collector's Universe you really get that feeling. Stewart Blaine? talking about selling another memember an 80K coin like it was buying some new pants. Talk about intimidating. I will only occassionally lurk there. Thanks for the credit, BTW.

7. Lehigh96

I have already stated that I don't believe that the AT coin doctor business that gets submitted to the TPG's is enough to even touch their bottom line. Would present owners of toned coins freak out? Probably, but in the long run they are better off than continuing to blindly believe they own an NT coin simply because it is in a TPG slab. I could care less how it affects the registry points. The fact is that if you owned a coin that was slabbed prior to the start of the QT designation, you are essentially grandfathered in. Just don't send it back for review.

I agree that it would cause prices of these coins to drop dramatically, but everyone I run into has already predicted that to happen anyway, so what is the difference. But lets be real, an MS65 coin with QT on the label is still an MS65 coin. The TPG is not saying it is AT, they just can't guarantee that it is not AT. Put it another way visually. Would you pay MS66 money for this coin if it had a QT on the label. I would and so would many others.

[​IMG]

As it stands right now, this Appalachian toned Jefferson will sell easily over $500, even when most collectors agree that it is AT.

8. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Well, interesting points, Lehigh. I can't argue with what you say, whether how much of the coin business is the coin docs. I really don't know. I was just speculating. I do think people care about registry points more than you think. I started several NGC registries and I feel there is one more clink in the chain when I add one in. I find it fun, and interesting which coins at what grades get how many points. I don't know the general consensus on this though. Great post and now to bed. I am tired.

9. Lehigh96

I will admit that the registry is fun and I am caught up in the competition just as much as others, but the QT designation would only affect newly submitted coins. Anything already graded would be immune so to speak. I love all toned coins and feel a huge sense of freedom not being bound by the parameters of NT. The coin doctor that created the Appalachian Jeffersons (if they are AT) should be congratulated IMO for his superior craftsmanship. I own 5 of them and they are all gorgeous and I can't say for sure whether any of them are NT or AT. I know this, I will always be a proud owner of them despite the stigma they have received.

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

QT?? GD in alanguage that we can all understand please

11. Leadfoot

QT = questionably toned -- toning that might be NT, but may be AT. I like to think of QT as all toned coins that aren't no-brainer NT and aren't no-brainer AT coins....and yes, to me QT includes the vast majority of toned coins.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

So would I.

And I feel exactly the same way !

But you are still missing my real point. Partly my fault I guess for not explaining it fully. But here's the scenario -

Let's say you and I go to a coin show. During our walk we find two nearly indenticaly toned Morgans in a display case - raw coins mind you. To your eye as well as mine they are both drop dead gorgeous coins and you and I both agree 100% that the coins are NT. But just to make sure, we go get Mark Feld and bring him over to have a look. He also agrees both coins are 100% NT, no question about it. We each buy one one of the coins.

Now some time passes, over the years we each allow others to view these coins, both in hand and on the forums. In every case, every person who sees them thinks they are gorgeous and has no question that they are NT.

But then one day a new guy comes by the forum and he happens to see the coins ? And he says - hate to tell you this guys, but Mike, your coin is AT - I made it myself. I was trying to copy what is now Doug's coin.

Now I know you're going to say that you are disappointed at finding this out. But before you found out, you were not disappointed at all. You and everybody else thought the coin was 100% NT - for years.

Now suppose you never found out - that is where my question comes into play - does it matter ?

Ya see Mike, I used to know a guy who could take any naturally toned coin in the world, and if you gave him two days, he could hand you an identical copy. And you could absolutely NOT tell them apart. Loupe, microscope, the naked eye - I don't care what ya used, you could not tell them apart.

That's why I ask - does it matter ?

But if I knew, I'd still want the NT coin over one of his copies. Like you - can't help myself. But if I didn't know - it wouldn't matter ;)

13. Leadfoot

I follow your logic better now, thanks for taking the time to explain yourself. :)

However, I'm still going to answer the same way -- it does matter to me.

That said, your example does bring up a very applicable cliche -- ignorance is bliss. ;)

14. Leadfoot

Yes he did, on the NGC forums some time ago, (to his credit) he posted the info summarized in the picture below:

[​IMG]

15. Leadfoot

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I know it's been said before but once the QT label is put on a coin it might as well say authentic , for me I'll pay less , and I'm perfectly willing to pay a premium for a nice NT coin .
    rzage

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

He’s not only a diplomat, he knows how to use innuendo, too. :whistle:

FYI, Arizona Jack gave us a link to a thread from another forum several months ago that was replete with AT coins slabbed by the major racketeers, I exaggerate with you not.

EDIT: FWIW, I was looking for that link, so I could cite to it, but I can't find it. I believe it was a CU link? Now what do you think the odds are Jack will come along and read this and provide the link? ;)

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I agree with that, it's a very beautiful coin...

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

finally a full post :thumb:

now the name and address of that gentlemen and i will be on my way to fame and fortune :D

20. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I wanna see pics of this guys AT coins. :D Thats pretty awesome.

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

And I don't think he's exaggerating, there, Mike...even a smidge. ;) And where there's one, there's likely... :whistle:

Draft saved Draft deleted