Fake posters!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bhp3rd, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

I wouldn't let this one idiot taint your opinion or make you feel bad. I am a born skeptic and I had never seen this poster before so I offered what I thought was good advice after doing a little research on Civil War medals. Then I began to get suspicious by some of the posts that just didn't add up and all the urgency coupled with coins from my ex, and coins from my uncle, and other aspects that seemed not quite right.

Ladybug is probably some lonely shut-in with either criminal intent or some serious mental problems that have gone undiagnosed. This is no reason to kick yourself. There are too many good people in this forum to let someone like this bother you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Naw, that's just a lurker. And the fake lurkers are lurkers that make the sporadic responses.

4. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Then there are the folks that come off exhibiting their "Thurston Howell the 3rd" attitudes and run off or tick off folks just trying to learn something. Certain members carry themselves like they are the upper tier of humanity and are too bothered with whatever trivial matter the peasant has to offer. Some folks in here are cool...some are just arrogant and hateful. I've been paying more attention lately to another forum that is much more "friendly" to the lower tier collectors. This place seems to be the rich man's gathering center. Rich talking to other rich. Some just want information...not to be talked down to. Lotta cool folks in here..don't get me wrong..but there are also a lot more "snobs" in here as well. Some folks just want to share/collect information. Some folks want to show how much they think they know. I think that chases folks and sometimes cause "fake" posts (whatever that is). This other place I mention...doesn't have quite the collection of "uppity" atmosphere of folks that this place does. Just my observation when comparing the two very popular forums. One for the upper income crowd, and one that includes more "average Joe" collectors.
    Anyway...perhaps that is part of the reason for the "fake" posters. Who knows though. :/

5. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

/\
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||

NOT REALLY SURE WHAT BROUGHT THAT ON....:confused:

6. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

It's the nature of the internet. We just have to deal with it. Why do some people write a virus? It's not un healthy to have a liitle debate on this. In fact it is part of our CT learning. A kind of sidebar on what goes on. If someone does not like this thread, unsubscribe, move on or just make your comment. All these things have a way of dieing off when they are used and abused. Either that or Uncle Doug does the "terminator" ray gun thing a ma bobby.

7. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Member

How would you classify the people asking you to grade their already graded coins? As big an annoyance as the "every coin I post is rare and valuable, but what is it?" or the 1 post wonders? What/Who else gets under your skin?

8. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

I hear what you are saying but I don't really feel that way about CoinTalk verses the other sites so much. One is not more friendly that the other it's just this one is much more active.

CoinTalk is quite popular and has many, many people on it.
    Within those people are more knowledge that could be gained in 100 livetimes of coin study. Also in there are giganitic egos like mine which is part and parcel with knowing a whole lot of stuff about a whole lot of things. Most persons with great egos are outspoken, it's the nature of the beast. Most persons with great knowledge about coins often wish, like I do, to get right to the point or heart of the matter to avoid waisting time. That also is the nature of the beast.
    Can we always learn to be more kind, absolutely we can. Often we ammend our own comments to include a check of our egos and admission of such. Do we do it often enough, probably not.
    One thing we do want to do is seperate the wheat from the chaf. This is not only an attempt to do that but to learn ways to do it better.
    This is the playpin and each person has to decide if he or she wants to play here. All are welcome but it's hard to learn if impeded by a con.

It's hard to learn if thinking that you don't belong.
    One thing I learned long ago was "make em learn to love ya" or at the least respect you. Give them no other way out. We each always have that kind of power because it depends on perserverance.

Ya, ya I know I can't spell worth nothing but most get me meaning.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Wow,

A completely unprovoked insult cast in my direction from none other than TomCorona. You seem to understand that there are coin collectors of different income levels, but seem angry about the perceived condescension you receive from collectors who are wealthier than you.

What you don't realize is that you are the one who is intolerant. You don't tolerate anyone with wealth or even the appearance of wealth. You have an expectation that the experienced (wealthy in your words) collectors be friendly to the lower tier colletors but have no intention of reciprocating that friendship. This forum in comparison to both the NGC and PCGS forums is very "newbie" friendly and the majority of the threads in this forum are not about high value coins. I have no idea why you would think this forum is a meeting place for the rich. Most of your posts thesedays on this forum are extremely negative in tone and have no educational value whatsoever.

The PRWE forum has all but died since your departure. Maybe you should return to your rightful place where you can argue to your hearts delight.

BTW, I guess my first post in this thread was right on. Poke a hornets nest, and out come the hornets.

10. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

I have not seen much snobbishness. Quite the contrary. Believe me if that was true (IMO) I would call it out for what it was. The only complaint I have is a couple of the CT guys always seem to have negative comments. One person in particular and I have been watching that because I just know what's coming when I see their name pop in, but with this many members you get all shape and sizes. I also think I see a lot of patience from some of the heavy hitters for redundant questions that keep coming up. Also when a newbie introduces themselves, I usually see a couple of the senior guys welcoming them. I have not even had the desire to venture outside this forum, because I think it is pretty good and well run. Plus I like the navigability of the program itself.

11. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I have to admit when Tom typed "Thurston Howell the 3rd" I chuckled a bit then later totally disagreed with him.

This is much more of a blue collar site then CU and most seem very unsnobish. I think there are many here willing to help the new collectors even when the: "how should I clean my coin, just found this 1951 cent, what is this" crowd keeps posting the same thing.
    Imagine what a B and M dealer gets thru the doors like this.

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Heck I don't feel bad for them at all not if they're idiot fake posters! I see what you're saying and I give everyone the benefit of the doubt but c'mon these idiots who come on here and are just saying stuff to get some kind of sick gratification are truly nuts and they don't even realize it!!

Remember that saying that the telephone company used to have, "reach out and touch someone"? Well I'd like to reach out and touch someone with my fist! :D

Alrighty then, I just needed to vent a little.lol I'm at work, I'll have to check in later :D

13. Lehigh96

For those that are unaware, Tom dubbed me "Thurston" on the PRWE forum and that comment was directed at me.

14. Lehigh96

Guess the grade threads are invaluable tools in teaching people how to grade coins. If you have no interest in learning how to grade coins, I can see how they would be annoying.

15. Duke Kavanaugh

Lehigh...I didnt know what PRWE forum is and didnt know that. It seems less funny now that he meant a specific person...sorry.

As for the "Guess the grade" posts...I LOVE those as it is a great learning tool. You can do this on your own but it's like playing facebook poker. It's free money so you wont get your best game but when it's posted here for everyone to see. You actually look hard and put your best foot forward.

But what was this topic about anyway...
    Oh yea...nm
    :D

16. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Well, gosh dern

Well, gosh dern. Now I understand a mite more about this silly~ness.

17. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

Since I started posting here, I felt that everyone welcomed me with open arms. I even had one member offer to send me some wheat pennies to help start my collection. (Thanks Riverguy)
    I dont understand the point of this thread. I myself am a very very new collector and obviously I have a ton of questions. I try to find out my answers by reading and researching the net before I ask them but some of them are just opinions that books and the net can not give.
    I think there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I think I can learn a ton from the pople who collect on here but I dont want to be deamed a "troll" because I am new and I post a lot. I dont think my posts are meaningless and without any meat on them. I know some of you guys that have been doing his for years probably think here is another guy who is going to start and collect for month or two and then we will see all his coins for sell online. I hope that is not the way I come across. I just have a passion that has been ignited in me mainly by having something that me and my son can do together to bond.
    Someone else on here made the comment that new people should not post much or if you see them doing that then be wary of them. I dont understand this, the only way to become more learned in the art of collecting is to read and learn and ask and try to make comments to help a little in the forum. I know I dont want to take and take and take all the time. I would like to give a little even though it may not be the most important find in numismatics, i want to give what little I can to show my appreciation to everything I have learned so far.
    I am sorry that I am the new guy on the totem poll and I dont know as much as some of you, but I promise that I am reading and doing every thing I can to get myself to the level were I can be more valuable to this forum. This is the only forum I am a member of and have enjoyed it a lot. I just dont want people not to trust new people on the forum just because of the OP's mistrust.
    I am sorry I have gone on so long but I have become very passionate about coin collecting and I dont like it when people try to make it were other people dont trust me. My word and my character is all I have in this life and it will not be belittled by anyone. No matter how much knowledge that person may have about the hobby I have become so passionate about.

18. Duke Kavanaugh

BTW...LeHigh your not like Thruston at all. He would collect real old stuff not some common new type Jeffersons ;)

(This is slightly tongue in cheek as your Jeff's are very nice)

If I HAD to pick a Thruston type of person her it'd be Rickey B as I can see Mr. Howell collecting notes of that type and caliber. NOTE that I am not calling him that as he is way to nice and helpful and giving and...well I just plain like Rickey. I was just speaking of types of collections.

19. Duke Kavanaugh

financeman we are glad your here and that your not a Fake Poster :D

Patience and you'll get there.

20. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

I appreciate that. I did not know there was even such a thing as a fake poster. I just dont want people to see my post and take my enthusiasm as something that it is not. I am just excited and want to learn as much as I can as fast as I can.
    Heath

21. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with this. I've had the impression that most here are 'average' collectors. How do we define the upper income crowd? There's so many different levels of collectors. Some only collect from pocket change. Some have never purchased a coin worth more than $50 or $100. While others regularly buy much more. Who cares?
    Everybody's collections are different and inevidably worth vastly different amounts. Sometimes people have a lot of stuff just because they've been collecting for 50 years. I really haven't noticed people being snobby. Besides maybe BnB, but he's (supposedly) gone.
    Well, I'm not going to ramble on about this any longer. There's no point. It certainly doesn't warrant fake posters wasting our time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.