Fake Peace Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gregg, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

#1: 1922: Weight is about 24.86g and when you flip it over the reverse is upside down.

One.png Two.png

#2: 1927: Weight: 19.0g

Three.png

Four.png
    #3: 1921-D Weight: 19g, also missing the words 'We' on the obverse, and of course, the fact it is the super rare D mintmark.

Five.png

Six.png
    As a learning exercise, I'd be interested in any other visual cues you can come up with to identify these as fakes. As an aside, none of these were sold to me as anything other than fakes - they weren't advertised as real.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Its To bad that the hobby is so afected and getting so many countifets these days, you have to hire a detective to buy a coin these days. DAM SHAME!

Randy Abercrombie and Gregg like this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They appear very grainy and mushy details. Not a bad job on artificial aging.

Randy Abercrombie and Gregg like this.
  5. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Looks like cast via the first couple of pics or is that just the pics?

Gregg likes this.
  6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Please don't send potential business their way with links. :(

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'd stick to 'junk' boxes..........they're more honest.

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

rats .. can't remove it now.

10. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, the roughness makes it look cast. Inspection of edge might show where sprue was removed.

Cal

11. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I find that all the artificial toning comes off as super fake looking. It reminds me of when Disney want to make something in their park look old. It just has that cartoon aged effect.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Agree with all those above. First clue is the grainy surfaces. Then the artificial toning wrecks it........ The thing that disturbs me about making that statement on a public forum is that the creeps that create these things can learn from this thread too. I wish I could post what I would like to do to these creeps.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yeah, because it's not like anyone knows how to google. ;)

If one looks up "fake Peace dollars" and then clicks the shopping tag, there's all sorts available from DHgate, straight from China. I do agree with the sentiment, Jeff, but we're now long past the point where keeping quiet matters. If anything I think we'd be wise to address this frequently as a warning while giving tips on how to identify the garbage.

JCro57 likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Instead of focusing on little things, I believe it best to handle as many examples of the real deal as is possible, at least when it comes to such poor fakes. Even a quick look immediately gives each away.

JCro57 and Gregg like this.
  15. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Always sad to see fakes.:(

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

1927Eagle head angle looks different from other 2. Also T bottom in liberty is longer on the 27

17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

One of the first things I see are the sharp rims. They're not flat, but tapered up thinner at the top.

18. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Thank you for your thoughts, people.
    Every little bit helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted