Fake Peace Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, May 4, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I bought this coin as a cull piece because at the time I did not have a Peace Dollar. Last night I was comparing the thickness to another Peace Dollar I acquired and a Morgan. This one appeared to be thinner than the others. Wanted to know if it is a fake by looking at the obverse and reverse rather than the edges because it may be worn. Let me know what you think. Peace Obverse.jpg Peace Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Looks OK, Nice "wipe" under "L." Coin looks very lightly buffed.

4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, someone rubbed it and then just left it alone. What do you think could account for the thinner appearance to the other Dollars I compared it to?

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I was looking at rolls of dollars last night at work. If you make several stacks of 20 Peace dollars next to each other they will usually be of very slightly different heights. The coins are struck to a certain weight standard with small tolerance allowed (.389 grams). If we weighed a thousand coins and stacked the 20 lightest next to the 20 heaviest; I'll bet the difference in the stacks could be 1/4 inch! :facepalm:

PS Your coin was not rubbed. It was buffed. The patches of bright hairlines are spots where the buffing wheel went too deeply into the surface. These are called "wipes" or "wheel marks."

Paul M., Kentucky and Bman33 like this.
  6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help Insider, this will go into my 90% junk stash. I might give it to my 8 year old nephew who loves any coin I give him. He still treats them like crap but it's great to see his face when I give them to him.

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Bman33 likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Hey, it sounds like your nephew might have some collector in him. I suggest the first lesson you can give him is how to properly handle his coins. You can both have fun.:)

Bman33 likes this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yes, he is definitely a future candidate. Right now he is collecting the state quarters and Presidential dollars. I went over care for coins for him, guess I should keep going over it.

Santinidollar likes this.
  10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me. You should just put it on a milligram scale and get a weight, then check against the spec + tolerances. Circulated coins can be a tiny bit out of tolerance due to either weight loss (wear) or weight gain (crud and dirt mostly), but should still be very close.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a normal circulated and harshly cleaned common date 1922-S Peace Dollar to me. :)

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Is real. And harshly cleaned

13. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

It also looks like the rims are worn more on one side, particularly near the buffing/cleaning on the reverse (I'm no expert on cleaning techniques), so it may just be a bit worn from rubbing the soft metal.

Either way, I'll gladly give ya a doller for it. ;)

14. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Nice candidate for a pocket piece.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted