Fake PCGS Slab: was duped

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by marbury518, Oct 30, 2018.

1. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

I bid on a MS62 Chinese Silver dollar from 1921 and when it was received the slab had chunks out of edge and white glue and finger prints inside the slab. The auction house only provided one scan that was a bit out of focus so I relied on the slab. A poor grade or fake coin was inserted. The black tar residue on the rims often indicates fakes. Anyway, I complained and received no apology but got my money back but not the insured shipping which appears to be at my expense. Just letting you folks know just in case you come across it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Did you pay for it with a credit card?

4. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

They only accepted bank transfer........would not take card.

5. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Is it a US based auction house and if not, what country is it in?

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That looks like the white fingerprints from superglue. Bet the coin is fake. Fatman dollars are frequently counterfeited.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

In that case I'd count myself very lucky to receive any money back at all.

Actually, in that case I would never have been a bidder.

What was the venue and seller? What sort of guarantee did they claim to offer?

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  8. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

UK auction house..........

9. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

If they refused a refund I would have filed paperwork with the county court and got it back that way. Auction houses can be difficult until the court paperwork hits their inbox. In the UK it is cheap to file in court but you must give them an opportunity to resolve the matter first. I also contacted PCGS by phone as no reply to my e-mails.....they had some interest in what I had to say.....but they commented that they didn't have a database of such fakes.....so probably just being personable on the phone.

10. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Scan provided by auction house.

Attached Files:

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Holder is fake. The font is wrong!

12. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

I imagine the holder is genuine but the information fake........cracked open a genuine holder.

13. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Here's an image of the actual coin.
    63036689_max.jpg

14. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Yes.........I sent this to the auction house

15. roman99

Its always a good idea to check the ngc/pcgs etc. database to check if the coin in the slab matches with the verified slab.

Aunduril and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Yes......but the scan offered by the auction house was not good enough for comparison for me at least.

17. roman99

No, the scan was more than adequate for you to distinguish from the verification pics, the scan clearly shows the coin from the auction house lacks any luster, and of much lower quality.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

I was wise after the fact.........anyway........only £7.50 out of pocket right now.

19. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Yeah if the font wasn't a give away look at the barcode to see the difference even with the low quality auction pictures.

In the future I wouldn't buy from any auction house that provides photos like that they're obviously hiding something putting so little effort into a simple photo.

Aunduril likes this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here is a good resource to see the majority of PCGS holders through the years. Familiarize yourself with what genuine ones look like so that you know what to look for in the future.

https://www.pcgs.com/holders

(there are arrows to scroll through on the sides)

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And don't use that auction house in the future.........

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted