Fake or Real?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rooman9, Jan 11, 2015.

?

Is this Morgan fake or Real?

1. Fake

89.5%
  2. Real

10.5%
  1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I know. I got my money back and then went to send it back to the seller but It was returned as undeliverable. The guy hasn't asked about it (I'm not paying shipping) So I think he knows that it's fake and doesn't want to worry about it.

silentnviolent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Voted fake - don't like the date and stars and general look of the coin.

4. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

The date, the stars, the denticles, all off.

If it won't go back to the seller, would you consider submitting it to The Black Cabinet?

http://fakes.numismetrica.com/

5. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Yep. That 9 looks real goofy. Voted fake.

6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Did you contact eBay directly? If you used PayPal, I'd start there first.

7. rooman9

I talked to the man directly and refunded me. Maybe I will donate it. I have no idea what to do with it. I don't want to keep it in my collection but I don't want to spread it around either. I was thinking of using it as a prop piece also.

rzage, SteveCaruso and JPeace$ like this.
  8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Glad you got your money back. When I first started collecting I bought an ungraded semi-key date Morgan off eBay. Long story short, it was fake. eBay/PayPal refunded me the money as the Chinese seller was not responding. (His listing did not indicate he was from China). Anyway, I was not required to return it. I was adamant that I was not going to pay international shipping rates for a fake coin. I got lucky and am thankful for their policies at the time.

I keep that fake in my desk drawer as a reminder....

rooman9 likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

for the 2 real votes:

Really?

Wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?

10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

My first thought was "the 9 in the date shouldn't look like a snail."

The folks who thought this was real, or even had a better than 50% chance of being real... had better stay away from raw coins that cost more than a few bucks. This is a very poor quality forgery.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  11. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

The date looks funky. I have a few 1891 Morgans and their dates do not look like your 1891.

Yeah that was the first thing I saw.

12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

13. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

The color/date/lumps by her forehead/rims looks like Charlie Chan strikes again.....

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Now that the feds have passed the new law on fake coins, I'd be very careful what you do with it.

Chris

15. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I'd keep it so you can compare to other coins.

And as far as the law goes, there should be no harm in just giving someone a counterfeit, if there's no sale being made.

16. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

In truth, the "new law" (the Collectible Coins Protection Act) doesn't do much to the old Hobby Protection Act, but it does close some gaping loopholes. The biggest changes have been that all sales of replica/counterfeit coins must also be marked COPY (when before it was only if one imported or manufactured them -- so folks were saying "I didn't make it or import it") and that people who substantially help out counterfeiters -- and would otherwise know better -- to pass bogus coins can be subject to enforcement.

Simply owning an unmarked counterfeit or replica, provided you don't try to defraud anyone with it, is still 100% legal.

As a precaution, all the fakes that end up in The Black Cabinet's stacks that don't have "COPY" stamped on them (provided they're not contemporary counterfeits of any real numismatic value) are stamped after they're cataloged and photographed and all are permanently removed from circulation.

17. rooman9

Don't worry. I won't sell it.

18. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

I have seen so many of these new Chinese counterfeits in the past year, I feel like all I need to look at is the date to determine if it is counterfeit or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted