Fake or not

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Roety

Roety New Member

I've been reading and watching the videos on calgerycoin, great info available but being that I've never seen a real coin its still challenging
    just for informational purposes
    does this coin look real or Fake. and why
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      75.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      87.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A better way to do this is for you to say what you find suspicious about it, if anything, and then we can comment on whether we agree.

The coin in question appears to be in an NGC holder. While NGC doesn't guarantee authenticity (there are various practical reasons for this which have been discussed on CoinTalk many times), the odds of an NGC-slabbed ancient coin being fake are very slim.

Heavymetal likes this.
  4. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

Well crap, I bought some things from him this past week, he wasn't on Sermarini's NFSL but I now see that he complained and got provisionally removed from the list :banghead:. I'll be sure to refer to your list as well now. His attitude is poor but from looking at his FORVM posts he seems like defensive collector/amateur dealer, defensiveness being understandable when he invested in 250 of those suspicious (fake) Legionary denarii and doesn't want to believe he's been duped, but I don't know. It seems that he did remove some listings when other items were called-out, which suggests he didn't set-out to be a complete scammer like other sellers, but that is probably my own wishful thinking.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

@Roety what you have done is known as "hijacking" my thread, but I have no problem with it since it is in the general area. My only advice is that you might get more replies with your own thread. BTW, for the coins I posted, I now have them and will be posting more pictures. I honestly trust the opinions (at least the majority of opinions) of the members of this forum and humbly thank them for putting up with me.

Heavymetal, Justin Lee and Alegandron like this.
  6. Roety

Roety New Member

Sorry about the hihacking thing. Thanks for the grace. If I have more questions or possibly something to contribute I'll start a thread. I had ordered some uncleaned lots from the UK so I'll probably post some pics in another (my own) thread.

Kentucky and Heavymetal like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Cleaning uncleaned is a whole 'nother world.

Draft saved Draft deleted