Fake or not

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The top photos are the seller's photos...
    Here are the others he posted...
    turned over.jpg edges.jpg

Not the most beautiful coins in the world, but eeeeh

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

They look cast to me and the style is off. Again, additional offering links often tell the whole story.

Jay GT4 likes this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

This is the actual eBay listing

Kentucky likes this.
  5. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Well that explains it. I got caught up in the AAH craze and purchased some of their fake Istro's in the mid 2000's. They were selling a lot of them back then. I gave away the ones I had as replicas.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Gotta ask...what is AAH?

7. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

8. Kentucky

Thanks to all, when I get them, I'll share...

9. Roety

Roety New Member

This ebay seller has about 50 positive feedbacks, started the bidding at $1 so they ended up around $200 each, some ended around $35 . I asked the seller some questions and gotblocked from bidding on them. Question, from the images do they look authentic?

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      447.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      340.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      340.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      412.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      48.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      37.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Why would an honest dealer block a bidder? That should be enough for you to never do business with this seller again.

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Agree!

Orfew likes this.
  12. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

13. Roety

Roety New Member

Victor That's pretty good, I didn't even mention their ebay name and you caught it. they were selling a $1900
    "Very Rare" Paeonian region Damastion Tetradrachm for $200 (plus at least 50 other coins) , and these coins were all relisted over and over, They are good looking coins, to good on some, I'm new just bought my first ancient coins last week. So am reading all the detect a fake posts on the web. Joined here to ask that question, the seller did me a favor blocking me I guess. Funny thing about this seller is everyone leaves him good feedback, so they must be happy because the coins do look good.
    Thanks

Roman Collector and Theodosius like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

One way of getting good feedback would be to ban anyone who might suspect your coins and might complain later. There are plenty of people who will buy bargains that you don't need potential troublemakers. Does this one look good to you:
    [​IMG]
    Did you notice that both sides images were the same side? Was that your error or the seller's?

15. Roety

Roety New Member

that was me , here is the other side. (he had two listed) the edges look rough and in some spots it looks like a layer of silver is peeling off. The cracks don't look right. I can not tell if this coin is all silver, cast or struck. I would guess and say wax cast. The gold coin looks really bad like it has been tooled. On one of his silver coins it has green spots that are obviously from copper not silver. I was gonna buy one or a few that went for under $100 and put a drop of acid on one. I had bought a bunch of silver 1oz bars once and the acid ate through to the copper in two seconds. Acid on real silver may have no effect, not sure about silver alloy coins though?

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      276.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

It is easy to fake good feedback by having multiple shill accounts that bid up and "win" items that no real person bid on.

Roman Collector likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Good feedback is easier when you only have 48 responses.

Theodosius likes this.
  18. Roety

Roety New Member

These two are from another auction (not ebay) , supposedly reputable.
    from looking at them, do they look authentic or fake? I can buy them for about $100 each. And what is that # 18 stamped in the face side of the second one about, if you know comments are appreciated

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      378.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      394.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      389.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      330.2 KB
      Views:
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Run away. Terrible fakes. If you refuse to listen to the advice given here so often to so many you are wasting our time and ours. Buy coins from sources you have reason to trust. Either know the seller or know the coin. That Athens is below tourist grade fake. I really suggest going back and reviewing a hundred or so Coin Talk posts asking about fakes and seeing what advice keeps coming up. I regret that we have a few people here who hold out hope that such coins might be OK because they don't know anthing but want to welcome you to the group.

I do not know the specific details on #18 but I would suspect it was part of a replica set issued with a card identifying the items. It is better than the other but not worth buying at any price unless you are building a 'Black Museum' collection of fakes. There are people who study such matters but I'm not sure we have any here now that could say the coin was one given as a premium with petrol in 1950 bu XYZ Oil corp. What we can tell you is that $100 each is about $200 too much.

Roman Collector and Alegandron like this.
  20. Roety

Roety New Member

lol thanks for the advice, I'm not buying them. I really need to see some real ones so I can spot a fake.
    they looked suspect because they have that tourist patina.
    and i think are cast not struck (I have trouble telling on these)

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Immerse yourself by browsing reputable ancient coin dealers' sites with tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of ancient coins. CNG, for example.

Browse current auctions on an auction aggregator site such as Numisbids or Sixbid. Browse "retail" offerings from the multitude of ancient coin dealers on Vcoins. Occasionally a fake slips through but but the vast majority of coins you see on those sites are authentic.

Study signs of fakery by reading all of these pages:

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/fakes/cast.htm
    http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/fakes/struck.htm
    Forum Ancient Coins' "Learn to Identify Fakes Coins"
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/numis/fakes.html (part of CoinTalk member @@Valentinian's extensive website about ancient coins)
    http://ancientgalleonllc.com/uncategorized/identifying-fake-ancient-coins/

Browse this thread for links to useful pages for beginners (and non-beginners!):

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-coins-beginners’-faq-thread.324858/

cmezner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted