Fake or not

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Anything that glaringly points to fake on these?

faces.jpg

Hoky77 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I personally think they appear real. The wear on them, specifically the faces, seems authentic to me. But they seem pretty "clean". Not too shabby, though. If the price was right, I'd be interested.

Kentucky likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Kentucky, how long have you been hanging around the ancients board now? You know we're going to want more information :). Size, weight, source, and images of the other side!

5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Can’t a guy just hang?

Kentucky likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sure! Kentucky knows the drill though when it comes to trying to determine authenticity by photos and this week I'm the designated schoolmarm :D.

7. Kentucky

If they had schoolmarms like you when I was in school, I'd still be there!
    [​IMG]

Noah Finney and Justin Lee like this.
  8. Kentucky

Since it is ebay, all the seller gave was 6 g each for the three. Since he was only asking $12.99, I went ahead! Same guy I bought the two Athena/Owls from.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

Ooooookay... so wait until you have the coins, weigh and measure them, take good pictures, and then ask.

Or just bump this thread back to the top when the coins arrive :rolleyes:.

Now come over here and get your spanking :D

10. Kentucky

Will do, but if someone said "Those look REALLY fake, I probably wouldn't buy them. I trust you people a lot...:kiss::kiss::kiss:

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Mine and it cost me much more than $12.99
    20170430_130925.jpg
    Istros, Moesia.
    AR Trihemiobol, 10mm, 1.1g; c. 380/350-330/280 BC.
    Obv. Facing male heads, the right inverted.
    Rev. IΣTΡIH, sea-eagle grasping a dolphin with talons.
    Reference: SNG BM 250

Not sure about yours @Kentucky just by the photo anyways.
    And 6g is pretty heavy

Kentucky, Johndakerftw and ominus1 like this.
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

@Kentucky: I can't tell anything from the images alone.
    THRACE, ISTROS.jpg

13. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

To me, the main thing that points to them being fake is that the guy is asking only $12.99. Maybe he got them from a little old lady in Pasadena who only took them to church every once in a while.

But maybe it’s just an incredible deal. I’m eager to see what the experts think when you get them in hand and can take edge photos, etc.

Paul M., Kentucky, Jay GT4 and 3 others like this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My thoughts as well.

coin_nut, Kentucky and dougsmit like this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are many fakes we can tell are fake from photos because they are an exact match for other coins previously condemned as fake when identified by someone who had the coin in hand. There are also fakes that will look perfectly fine in photos but non-experts like us do not have the experience to recognize from the resources we have checked. These coins come in quite a variety of styles and minor details so it is not as simple as people might hope. Note from the pictures above that some coins differ as to which head (right or left) is inverted. Below is one where the dolphin is swimming the opposite direction. Does that make you think some of these are fakes?
    g30820bb1775.jpg
    Did I make a mistake when I bought this coin? It came from CNG. This takes us back to the same old story. At $12.99 each, the worst evidence we have is why someone is selling $100 coins for so little. Fake is one good answer. Stolen is a possibility. I hope your coins are 'good' in every respect but buying coins for a small fraction of the going price is a lot like buying lottery tickets. Once in a while you win. Most of the time you don't.

For the record, these also come in barbarous but, I believe, ancient. This is a 1/4 stater. g30860bb1868.jpg

This is a fourree.
    g30830bb0363.jpg

Buy coins from people you trust. Don't expect miracles from online 'experts' to protect you from harm.

16. Kentucky

...actually there were 3 coins for $12.99...scary, but I took a chance. Fake, possibly, that's why I asked...stolen...have no way to check. Measurements and pictures to follow.

17. Kentucky

WOW, I love those!

18. Kentucky

Here's the one I have...paid maybe $25 or so for it

istros front.jpg istros back.jpg

dlhill132 likes this.
  19. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I dont want you to reveal your sources or anything, but most often one can get a better idea when comparing to their overall offerings. Do you have a link to what they are or have offered? Or just photos? Many times things looks OK from a photo but when you look at all their other items which may be glaring fakes...

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Kentucky

It's from an ebay seller who is not primarily a coin seller. Some other of his coins look "fake" to me, but not being something I have an interest in, I didn't bother with them. Otherwise, one of the 100% guys for what that is worth.

21. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Can you post links or photos? It would probably help.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted