Fake or legitimate?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Publius, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Publius

Publius Active Member

Hello guys,

I'm new in the forum, but I've been following it for a while and I can see that many of you have significant knowledge about ancient coins.
    Therefore, I would like to ask about your opinion regarding some coins. So are those fake or not...?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

What you have there are Late Roman Bronzes, 1 of Licinius I, 1 of Licinius II, 2 of Constantine I, and 1 of Valens. They are all genuine.

paschka likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Nice examples too!!!

paschka likes this.
  6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

All looks good to me.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. Listen to these guys. They know their stuff. Enjoy! :)

8. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

What they said... Welcome. ..

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Welcome. Genuine coins.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

welcome...some nice late roman bronze!

11. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Publius, welcome aboard! Strap yourself in and enjoy the adventure. I have zero opinion on your coins since I know LESS THAN zero about ancients. The 'class' seems to agree they are real -- so, good show!! :)

12. Publius

Publius Active Member

Wow guys thank you very much!!! That's a warm welcome! :) Actually they are not mine, but I hope they will be soon... :) I also don't see something wrong with them, except the fact that they are very well preserved. But the fact that they originate from Bulgaria (I hear that they are pretty handy there) makes me be extra cautious... :)
    Moreover, someone wrote here that if something looks too good to be true, the chance to be exactly like that is too high... :)
    I'll make some pictures of the rest of my coins when I have some more time, so I can show them to you guys. I hope to get the same feedback for them... :)

13. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Generally I wouldn't buy from Bulgaria - BUT these are beyond doubt genuine.

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Welcome Publius

:rolleyes:

15. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Those are nice coins. Generally, buying from Bulgaria is a bad idea because so many fakes come from there. But, if you do, the next goal is to not pay too much. If you are new to ancients, you may not realize that a group of excellent, but very common, coins like that might cost as little as $50 (not each--for the group of five).

16. Publius

Publius Active Member

Thanks for the advices guys! Now I'm getting worried for some of the coins I've bought in the past... What do you think about those two? Unfortunately, I don't have high resolution pictures.

Attached Files:

17. Publius

Publius Active Member

And these... :)

Attached Files:

18. John Anthony

They all look authentic based on those pics.

19. Publius

Publius Active Member

Now when I'm comparing the pictures of the Licinius 1 coins it seems like they are made from the same dies... What is the probability of that?

20. John Anthony

The two coins of Licinius I that I see are not at all from the same dies. In fact, they're different reverse types. Which coins do you mean? Can you put them together in one post?

21. Publius

Publius Active Member

These 2

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted