Fake NGC coins on sale tonight in USA

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by marbury518, Oct 1, 2016.

1. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The security strip isn't visible under all lighting conditions. If that's a fake holder and coin, that's pretty scary.

4. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

The coin looks bad and under the bar code is written NGC is small letters and this one has no letters at all.......if you compare the links they look nothing like each other.

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't mind fake slabs. Fake coins though...

6. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Both fake LOL

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Same coin and slab in both images. Nothing fake about it.

TIF, jester3681 and Paul M. like this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I'm sorry, but this isn't cutting it. If you want to label a seller's coin as a fake and possibly hurt his reputation in the process, you need to back it up with facts. Thus far I'm not seeing anything beyond questionable assumption to at best conjecture.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Paul M.

I don't know about the coin, but I'm 99% convinced the slab is real. And, if the slab is real but the coin is fake, that's NGC's issue, not the seller's.

10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

You DO realize the security strip looks different, and shows different things, under different light, right? If that is your reason for calling it out as a fake, you should be embarrassed.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

12. jwitten

So, I looked the coin up on NGC, and what do you know, the marks line up exactly. Good coin, good holder.
    x1.png x2.jpg x3.png x4.jpg

NSP and Paul M. like this.
  13. jwitten

And look at where the frosting is missing on the building. Matches perfectly.

14. jwitten

@marbury518 .... Which of these holders is the fake? Hint, I took the pictures about 2 seconds apart.. the only difference is the angle of the light.
    IMG_2237.JPG IMG_2238.JPG

TIF, C-B-D, charlietig and 2 others like this.
  15. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

They both look the same as the ones I have with that label. I was wandering though if you could show the coin? I love those Indian Head coins. I have to have at least one in my lifetime.

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Kudos, Mr. Witten!

I used different pups in my own comparison, but this certainly works. Thanks for posting.

This kind of thing happens, we know, but hopefully the OP will see this as an example of why many (not just him) on this board need to STOP jumping to conclusions. While I've no doubt this was innocent, damage can still come from it, and is why everyone would be wise to start following the golden rule.

green18, jwitten and Paul M. like this.
  17. Paul M.

I agree. People are pretty quick to scream "fake!" sometimes. I wouldn't have posted the direct link or named the seller if I only thought it was fake and didn't have direct evidence.

18. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

It's very easy to see huge differences in a picture taken with diffuse probably fluorescent light vs. direct like such as an Ikea Jansko....

19. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm late to the party, but those are the same coin. NGC's free pictures online are terrible and proof coins are very, very (go on for 100 verys) difficult to image. NGC price guide for this coin is $110, sold for $120. I can't imagine it being worth it to fake, risking the reputation of your auction service.

20. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

NGC's images are designed not to show the coin in it's best view, but as diagnostic images. Charmy and others have posted pictures of the photo room. They use diffusers at a 45 degree angle to create a very flat light.

21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Any way you could get me a link or a closer idea where to find that? I'd dearly love to see NGC's imaging setup. I've seen Heritage's, and it explains why their images look the way they do, but NGC's results are actually kind of difficult to reach (in a downward sense) with professional equipment.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted