Fake Mysia Silver Hemiobol?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hoth2, Apr 25, 2015.

1. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    I've been lurking for a while and just bought a coin that seems suspicious, which seemed like as good a time as any to finally register. If anyone could help me out it would be very appreciated.

The coin is a Kyzikos Mysia Hemiobol. Here's the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MORTOWN-Kyz...svSrCHRMb14o7I%2F7MjU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The description seems to be lifted pretty directly from wildwinds. The coin does in fact, as the listing says, weigh .37 grams. The two examples on wildwinds weigh .71 and .8, which by itself seems suspect and has me kicking myself that I didn't check wildwinds in advance.

The kicker is that he threw in an OBVIOUSLY fake coin. I was ready to send him a message this morning to discuss a refund, but I thought I'd check in here first. Pictures are attached. The last one is of the coin he threw in.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Ancientnoob and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks authentic to me. The weight is within range for a hemiobol. The heavier versions you cite are for obols.

... and welcome! :D

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i would guess it was ok as well.

5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong here. The weigth is in the correct range for a hemiobol. The seller is well respected and one I would trust to honour his lifetime guarantee if there were a problem.

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

TIF and chr(i)s and maridvnvm have me convinced.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The coin is fine. Style and fabric look good, weight is in line for a hemiobol, which is what it was listed as. Mortown is a trusted seller who offers a lifetime guarantee of authenticity - I've never gotten any fakes from him.

Now, that begs the question: WHY would you include a replica with the sale of an authentic coin? That just raises suspicion in the buyer's mind. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  8. chrsmat71

i thought that was somewhat strange. i assumed he picked up fake, and just decided to throw it in as a freebie. if that is the case, i would add a note saying that to the person i sent the coin to. but anyway, i suspect good intentions.

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Coin looks Ok to me also. I too have bought from him a few times and have been happy. Now to throw in a big fake? Thats weird.

10. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I feel quite a bit better.

Update on the fake coin: I went through his recently ended auctions, and one was for this exact coin. It looks like he sent it to me by mistake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MORTOWN-Tha...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And since the coin he sent me is real, it's a good bet that this is also the real deal after all. I'll be messaging him later today..

11. chrsmat71

wow...that's a real tetradrachm?

it's a good thing he sent his it to an honest guy....good for you hoth2.

welcome!

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Mortown is a good, honest dealer. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I like 'em both ...

=> oh, and "Welcome"

:D

14. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I too can vouch for Mortown's character. He is honest and stands behind his product.

Draft saved Draft deleted