"Fake" mintmark...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kentucky, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sorry, this pic came from the negative reviews of a seller I was checking out. They had two bad reviews and this was one that claimed a "fake mint mark" and that the seller would not respond so they opened a case. As much as I know about Morgans (which isn't much), I couldn't see why it would be suspected of being fake. As far as the coin itself being fake, I'm in the dark.

Michael K likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The details would be helpful, but I'm not seeing anything that sets off any immediate red flags and wish those acting as if it's an obvious fake would address their concerns.

Sadly, there are so many clowns in this hobby (and especially eBay) that such claims must be viewed with a skeptical eye.

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Agree, the reason I don't post the obverse is that I only took from e-bay the picture that shows the mint mark, and to try and find that listing again is, frankly, too much effort.

As to the authenticity of the coin itself, does anyone have tell tells that lead them to believe it is fake?

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

^^^^ Agree.
    Comparing it to a real reverse I don't see why it is fake.
    People could point out areas of concern. I am willing to keep an open mind,
    and be educated.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Kentucky

me too...c'mon people share why...

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I wasn't trying to blame you for not providing details and assumed you had posted all you had. It's just something that can make nailing things down much easier. Other than not being a rev of 78, it's been so long that I forget other reverse tells.

So many folks just love to point the fake finger whenever anything looks off, often ignoring the fact we're looking at photos where perspective matters. Additionally, just think of how many times we've seen someone pick some seemingly obvious detail about a coin and use it to deem it fake while wholly ignoring the often-fact that everything else is correct? If someone is going to make the effort to make a near-perfect counterfeit, do they really think such a person would ignore the obvious? It's like the "cast" thing so many resort to; it's usually nothing but an assumption.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I was joking. I didn't actually see anything that indicates it's fake. But I'm no expert on spotting them...

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Moron is a strong word. I would use imbecile.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  10. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

Slanted top arrow feather. S tilted slightly left. Die gouges in the ribbon bow. I've seen this gouge before. Just have to go to VamWorld, here I come. Looks genuine to me and I might even have one just like it. Study VAMWorld 1879-S and all other top slanted arrow feather S dates. Good Luck.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I assumed John was joking from his comment.

John Johnson likes this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Don't you dare forget me

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Cheech9712

5 to 1. My math says 80-20

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Yeah cuz i don't know what that means.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. dlp_dlp21

dlp_dlp21 always and forever

Mint mark looks cut and copy off another coin to be honest

16. dlp_dlp21

dlp_dlp21 always and forever

One of my favorite sayings I say a lot in my family is, I can feel my intelligence level dropping the more you speak, I must leave. Another one I use a lot, hey! I tell jokes to make myself laugh I don't care if you think it's funny or not.

17. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

18. Kentucky

I think the accepted term is bidiot

Cheech9712 and John Johnson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted