Fake Jewish Year 2 Shekel

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

This morning i was browsing thru the Pinterest web site & found one group of ancient Jewish coins pictured. Most of the coins looked good except the coin pictured below that screams FAKE :eek:. I traced the coin to a eBay seller from Cyprus. I don't know if this coin or seller has surfaced on CT before but if so here it is again.

Cast Fake Year 3 Shekel, eBay.jpg

The coin was described as "Authentic: 100%", but cleaned :hilarious:. The weight is accurate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-JEWIS...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

The coin sold two years ago for $441.00 after receiving 40 bids :rolleyes:. It appears this seller has sold other fakes too. The genuine Year 2 Shekel pictured below sold at Heritage for $5,875.00.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Might it be easier to consider the case of eBay offerings from Cyprus a place where guilty until proven innocent applies (even on July 4)? The same could be said for any country with laws against selling genuine antiquities but no laws against cheating stupid tourists and eBay shoppers.

PeteB, ominus1, Andres2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I see evidence of casting on the first coin. Fake for sure.

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

6. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Trying to develop a better eye for this.

Is it due to the casting beads?

7. Al Kowsky

AussieCollector, You're correct on the tiny casting beads on both surfaces of the coin, especially on the obverse. Notice also how indistinct the beads on the pomegranate scepter are on the fake. There is also deep casting porosity on the edge of the fake. The surfaces on both sides of the coin show no trace of flow lines that you'd see on a struck coin. The best way to judge a fake is to compare it to genuine examples. Presently Roma Numismatics Limited has a selection of Jewish War Shekels for auction, see examples below.

Roma Numis. E-Sale 59, Lot 535.jpg Roma Numis. E-Sale 59, Lot 537.jpg Roma Numis. E-Sale 59, Lot 538 (13.83 gm).jpg
    The 1st coin has corrosion on the obverse & some deep cleaning scratches but all three look like genuine examples. I only have one example left in my collection of a Jewish War Shekel from Year 2, pictured below. The coin was slabbed by NGC.

NGC 4625335-001 Obv. (2).jpg Year 2 Shekel, obv..jpg Year 2 Shekel, rev..jpg

PeteB and Andres2 like this.
  8. Al Kowsky

Excuse the error on the thread title :oops:, I did correct it to year 2, not 3.

9. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Thanks @Al Kowsky

Yes, I can definitely see the casting mistakes when compared against a real shekel. I guess I'm also trying to spot one without necessarily directly comparing.

Thanks for pointing out the casting porosity on the edges. They're clear as day now that you'd pointed them out.

I find the flow lines harder to spot on these coins. I'm not sure why.

10. Al Kowsky

AussieCollector, Sometimes there are no visible flow lines on these coins. It really depends on how well the planchet has been heated before striking, & that applies to any ancient silver coin. Coins that are soft & malleable before striking will reveal flow lines like the Heritage example, especially on the obverse. My coin also has visible flow lines on the obverse. Planchets that are soft before striking will give the dies longer life & a deeper impression on the coin. These Shekels were the 1st silver coins made by the Jews, & the quality varies. That's why you see so many examples that are off center & not fully struck.

AussieCollector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted