Fake...cleaned..or what?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NG4, Mar 9, 2012.

1. NG4

NG4 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

Dipped i'd say.

4. NG4

NG4 New Member

And when you say dipped.. is that in an over the counter liquid tarnish remover?
    Like Wrights or Tarn-X?

5. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

Sort of. THere are coin specific products like Speeddip and Jeweluster. Dipping dulls the luster on a coin, at least if it is dipped too long or multiple times.

6. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Yeah my first impression is that it's been dipped too many times.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello NG4

Grey sheet bid for MS60 is $410. MS63 is $490 and MS64 is $700. There is no telling from the photos what the grade truly is or whether a TPG would grade it. The seller offers 14 day return and his feedback rating is good. If you wanted a bright white quarter, it might have been a good one for you or it could have gone right back to the seller (if harshly cleaned).

I personally much prefer the Columbian half you posted with the peripheral toning.

BTW, tell all your friends that they should NEVER use strong silver cleaners like TarnX on a coin. The dip mentioned in this thread would be something like Jewel Luster or e*Z*est. There are plenty of threads here at CT that describe dipping coins. I remember a good thread that LostDutchman posted showing a coin photo before & after a 50% diluted dip for a short time with proper rinse. It was an example of a good dip procedure. A long dip can really dull and damage a coin's luster. IMO the coin in the Ebay auction may have been dipped many times or for too long. At least that is the look it has in the photos.

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

What sticks out to me is the lack of luster (over dipped)and the finned rim

9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Definitely dipped. The surface looks almost too perfect.

10. NG4

NG4 New Member

Right.. that's what got me too.

11. NG4

NG4 New Member

I have several Columbians and would like the female half to go with it for a possible framed piece.

Are you saying a proper dip is ok? I saw some products like those you mentioned in addition to one called MS-70.
    I would be very reluctant to use it... but would entertain the idea of buying some just to try out on junk coins and pocket change. I don't want to waste the money if it's never going to be anything but destructive to a collectable coin though.

12. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

First, look at the bright white silver color and think about how silver will look when its only 1 year old, let alone well over 100. Second, look at luster in the fields and its refelctiveness. Add 2 plus 2 and come to your own conclusion. :)

13. NG4

NG4 New Member

Yes, that's pretty much what I was thinking.. how can a 100+ year old coin look this gggod. But then i thought that maybe some actually do... which lead me to ask the question in here.
    Am I to assume then that no coin of this date would ever look this good?

14. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I am not sure about NEVER, but I have never seen a silver coin even 40 years old look that bright.

15. fishfinder

fishfinder Junior Member

When I first started collecting, I bought a similar commem from this seller. Cleanest coin I ever saw! Every bit of the surface was scratched clean.

16. azhiker00

azhiker00 Member

I see this seller all the time, check his items for sale, filter to "completed items" and the commemorative, early category. All the coins are completely clean, no toning. Sometimes he uses the same photo for the coins not the actual one for sale. His feedback seems good but I have not bought from him and have no personal history. I generally check sellers history in that category before purchasing. Besides you can get a slabbed MS62 for the same price, guaranteed not cleaned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-25C-Is..._Individual&hash=item27c471d7fe#ht_500wt_1357

17. NG4

NG4 New Member

W/o starting another thread...... why would this seller sell this coin at considerably less than PCGS has valued it at?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-25C-Isabella-PCGS-MS65-/140719576655?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20c38a564f#ht_2636wt_1165

He even provides the link....

also... from another sale on Ebay... what does CAC original mean?
    Obviously this coin doesn't sell for the stated $2500 or else someone would have snatched it up to resell.

18. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

Maybe he paid considerably less for it, or has had it for years. Maybe he's willing to take a loss in order to recoup some of his funds quickly.

PCGS prices are just a guide, as well. I've picked up a few PCGS slabbed coins recently, and in every instance, I've paid less than PCGS book. In one case, I paid $15 for a coin that books at $45 (60% off).
    Remember that buyers set the market price through their willingness to purchase at a given level- Not any published guide :)

19. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

The market for Isabella's and Lafayette dollars has been soft lately...

Draft saved Draft deleted