Fake Apmex 1oz Gold Bar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DGXJewelry, Nov 1, 2017.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Yeah, comes across a little too New Age-y for my tastes, but given who said it, I give it the benefit of the doubt. He's a guy who lives among crystals of all kinds.

Lemme Caution likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

The Crystals.jpg
    I prefer the Crystals that graced us with "Then He Kissed Me." :singing:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, I figured he was talking about phonons, not chakras. :rolleyes:

5. Lemme Caution

Now I'm really dazed and confused. Are we seriously conflating 'Chakra' Khan and phonetic pronouns here? :yack:

6. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

This is only gonna get worse, of course. Does NGC slab BitCoin Paper Wallets? I'm getting scared here.

7. Lemme Caution

Warm milk, a binky and a couple dozen episodes of Mr. Rogers and you'll be just fine.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

9. Lemme Caution

10. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

He looks more and more like Mickie Rooney every day.

11. Lemme Caution

At least he's following the jovial, self-deprecating path of David Hasselhoff and not the serious, self-aggrandizing one of the likes of that pompous idiot Steven Seagal!

12. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

Hi! I was traveling last week and missed this post. Thanks for including me on it. Let me check and see if we have see this particular "fake" before.

BlackBeard_Thatch and baseball21 like this.
  13. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

Hello CoinTalk!

Yes. We are aware of the fake APMEX gold bars that are out there. It seems that once your product gains respectability in the marketplace, there are counterfeiters trying to profit from it. It is to be expected and thanks for letting me know.

As a matter of fact, last week we posted a blog piece that I wrote about what measures APMEX takes to ensure that everything that we sell is genuine. I have attached a link to it in case you would like to read it.

https://www.apmex.com/blog/how-to-detect-gold-and-silver-counterfeit-products-know-your-seller

If that is the inappropriate place to post a link, my apologies. Thanks!

14. V. Kurt Bellman

It’s surely not my call to make, but I feel it is not only appropriate, but darned cool of you to provide it.

Lemme Caution and Mike at APMEX like this.
  15. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

AGREE.

Mike at APMEX likes this.
  16. Lemme Caution

If a product exists, it is usually just a matter of time until someone tries to replicate it.

17. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I'm gonna stick with pre-33 slabbed stuff.

Honest question for anyone who buys gold bars. Why do you buy them in bars as opposed to like a common date low grade Saint which sell for barely above spot if at all? Seems like a no brainer to me but I don't stack metal so maybe I'm missing something advantageous with bars.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

No, I really don’t think you are missing anything at all. The “industry” has only one goal - keep precious metals IRA-eligible. If they can’t beat the counterfeiting problem, the feds will make metals ineligible for inclusion in tax-sheltered funds.

19. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Are bars IRA eligible whereas Saints are not? If so that's a legitimate reason to go the bar route that I wasn't aware of. Although you only have so much contribution space in IRAs I think it best to use that for your highest potential appreciating assets.

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  21. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

Certain coins and bars are eligible for inclusion in IRA's but numismatic coins are not. The bars and coins that are eligible for inclusion are very specific and are treated as commodities. Numismatic coins, in the eyes of the US Government, are not commodities, but collectibles. So, Pre-'33 is not includable in an IRA.

Draft saved Draft deleted