Fake Apmex 1oz Gold Bar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DGXJewelry, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

Well, that's the ticket then. Fly to China and buy a fake without going before a Chinese firing squad or getting kidnapped to star in one of Kim Jong Un's movies. :bucktooth:

FBLfinder likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lemme Caution

Aha, clearly an active cell of home-grown counterfeiters...attention all Secret Service Agents, Treasury Police and Postal Inspectors! :borg:

Gilbert likes this.
  4. coinscoinscoins

coinscoinscoins Junior Member

Nothing new, been around on AE for years. Thick gold plating and tungsten core, pass XRF and specific gravity tests.

Lemme Caution likes this.
  5. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Yup, if it's done really well, gold-encased tungsten will have the same density, weight, dimensions, and cosmetics as solid gold. Surface tests like scratch, acid, and hand-held XRF won't work either. Industrial strength x-ray imaging, XRF or ultrasound will work.

Cal

Lemme Caution and DGXJewelry like this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

... and that makes buying 1 oz. gold bars a good idea exactly how again? o_O The risk/reward calculus simply doesn't work for me.

Stevearino, C-B-D and Lemme Caution like this.
  7. Lemme Caution

The better the fakes the less likely anyone will ever know exactly WHAT they're spending their hard-earned money and/or ill gotten gains on. What a revoltin' development. :arghh:

8. Lemme Caution

There you go...an entirely new industrial-size enterprise for the Medellin, Sonora and other cartels to get into to supplement their already impressive through the pipe, up the nose and into the arm income.

9. Lemme Caution

And yet, and yet, people can't seem to buy them FAST enough. Go figure.

10. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

IT'S ALL FAKE NEWS! SMILES

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Dunno. Especially when you can get graded coins removing the risk

12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

And it looks like most jewelers haven't been around coin collectors.

Insider and Lemme Caution like this.
  13. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

I saw this on youtube today and supposedly this fake came direct from the Royal Canadian Mint.... this is bad new for bullion community.

Lemme Caution likes this.
  14. baseball21

What they were supposedly selling one of their bars that the mint had repurchased from someone?

15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy a gold bar when I can get an AGE, AuML, Au Britannia, etc. The design details on a bar - especially one locked in plastic and can't be examined - is too simple and easily copied. And throw in the fact that W has the same density, and all bets are off.

Gilbert and baseball21 like this.
  16. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

I was listening at work so if i recall the details... jeweler walks into a RBC bank branch across the street from his shop to buy gold to smith out some new jewelry. Started to press on the gold shortly after the purchase in his hand crank press and noticed it wasn't the right feel and bent it to check the bar but it snapped. I am under the impression it was a new bar direct from the mint because it has sparked an internal mint investigation as to how fakes are getting into inventory and then leaving with other real bars. Not good... especially if there are a ton of these out there.

17. baseball21

Hmm, that's interesting. I could think of a few possibilities, but if a worker had managed to swap some I can't imagine it would be long before they would be caught.

FBLfinder likes this.
  18. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

I hope that this is a singled out event that only allowed a few fakes. I couldn't imagine what happen if there were hundreds of these out there.

19. Lemme Caution

No, it was a brand-new Mint-produced bar bought directly from the Mint in the Mint's own sealed packaging.

20. Lemme Caution

It could be a one off, or it could be the tip of the iceberg. We shall see.

21. Lemme Caution

All I know is that the ones coming in from China are being sold as fast as they can get them into play on ebay and such, but this sounds different since it's not an open-market sale but directly from the Canadian Mint.

Draft saved Draft deleted