Fake Alert

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hommer, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Real fake

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

It's sad that this guy had.more than 10 of each of these coins. Huge payday for him. Huge loss to numismatics.

4. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

Honestly? Reason I asked was because I just purchased this one.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Your coin is perfectly legit, sir. I'm not sure why the other gentleman believes otherwise.

6. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

Thank you very much. I was getting scared, haha.

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I say 99.9% chance of being real .

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I see no reason to doubt its' authenticity.

9. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Gen-u-whine fake looks like to me

10. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

There is no way of knowing who the buyers are. Ebay hides the identity of bidders and buyers. By the time some of the buyers find out these coins are fake it will be a long time after the sale.
    Ebay does not seem to be doing much about all the fake coins being sold on their site.

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

No one appreciates being told the truth and all rush to "kill the messenger" and always have. The truth will come out after the stuff's sold and turned down by the purchaser(s) sad to say.

12. Hommer

Looks real to.me. Compare the wear on your coin to the others in the pictures. Notice your coin is worn on the high spots and the other areas are protected and remain crisp as it should be. The other coins appear to be worn but are instead lifeless even in the deepest protected areas. No crispness at all.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

EBay doesn't give a flying foo-doodle. And they won't until they are held liable -- such as stores are -- for providing an outlet for fake merchandise.

14. SuperDave

The worst thing is, the law under which they're defined as legally liable for it is already in force. The amendments to the Hobby Protection Act signed into law last December specifically name sales venues which knowingly allow others to transact counterfeit coins as being in violation of the Federal Trade Commission Act. And our reporting of counterfeits, using their system, is plenty to qualify them as "knowing." :)

And they're currently a defendant in a rather sizable lawsuit related to their allowing the passing of name-brand counterfeit goods.

rzage likes this.
  15. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

16. SuperDave

Nope. Seems the offending auctions have disappeared. :)

17. Hommer

The auctions were deleted after being sold out

18. serafino

I hope Ebay gets nailed in that lawsuit. Maybe then they will make a real effort to control the sale of fake goods and coins.

19. serafino

You can still see the sold coin auctions in the Seller's completed listings.

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I wonder if the guys and gals of Coin Talk could as a group or each of us as individuals file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and request an investigation of Ebay's practices as it relates to our hobby.

I'm game....

serafino likes this.
  21. serafino

Great idea.
    They will pay more attention to a group over individuals. And it would be even better if a coalition of coin clubs and groups file complaints.

Draft saved Draft deleted