Fake Alert

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hommer, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

They are not even good fakes

4. Hommer

Some of the worst I've seen
    I tried to report them but it says their making changes to check back soon. Ohh well. Hopefully whoever sees them knows a little about coins.

5. Bill S

Bill S New Member

People are buying them, so I guess not everybody is aware that they are counterifts.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's the biggest problem with such easy availability of counterfeits. Not everybody entering numismatics knows to seek out online communities like this, and learn. I'll bet there are some pretty "complete" collections out there, formed by relative loners, which they'd be shocked (and financially brutalized) to learn are mostly cleaned coins and fakes.

Santinidollar and tommyc03 like this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I am certain that those who are not familiar with identifying fakes would love to hear your opinions/diagnostics on why such a coin is a fake. It may take a few extra minutes of your time, but the shared knowledge will be immeasurable to those who learn a thing or two. To me, the obverse has the most that strikes as being off (pun intended). The I in Pluribus, something going on below her hair, and the numbers on the date look off to me.

8. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

This is not about forums or numismatics only.

It's common sense.

How come that this seller has dozens of rare coins available at once?
    And more importantly, why is he selling them at a fraction of real value?

swamp yankee and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. SuperDave

That's a pretty good start. :)

Another meta factor is that the seller has zero Feedback as a seller, and none as a buyer within the last 6 months. And none numismatic-related. And all of a sudden he's got multiple examples of scarce dates? I don't think so.

The rest, unfortunately, is experience. The more you know about what a coin should look like, the easier it is for you to identify a counterfeit.

swamp yankee and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

He's down to 1 coin for auction now - and even it looks pretty bad.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. Hommer

Must be the free shipping. Let that be a lesson to all you sellers. :smuggrin:

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Of course it's a fake... it's SIDEWAYS!

2015-12-06_13-07-42.jpg

13. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

Real or Fake?

Attached Files:

14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Is it possible to contact the winning bidders to let them know about this? If possible, I'm sure they would be beholding to you. They could ask to cancel their orders "Buyer Remorse".

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's fine.... but with that said, 'tis better to start your own thread with such questions.

16. BooksB4Coins

I know it was in days past, but today? I'm not so sure.

As for winning bidders being pleased with such news, don't count on it. Sure, some would be, but others would not take kindly to it, and are blissful wallowing in their ignorance, seeing only what they want to. This isn't to say that, if even possible, it wouldn't be worth the shot, but only that one shouldn't expect to all to appreciate or take kindly it.

17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I can see your point. Some would likely think you were calling them ignorant or worse, might backfire. Let sleeping dogs lay.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Another Ebayer once contacted me about an Ebay auction that didn't mention software compatibility. I then realized that I had bid on an item that I, or probably many people, couldn't use for a price well above value. I canceled the bid and highly appreciated the outside feedback. But I agree it's a hard call.

19. BooksB4Coins

That's pretty much it in a nutshell... this isn't something I personally did, but some years back a fellow I knew, after being burned, went on a crusade when it was still easy to learn buyers identities. Some of the respose he received were downright hostile.

swamp yankee and tommyc03 like this.
  20. Hommer

I want to share these photos for those that missed out on the action/auction. Mainly for educational purposes as I know many will have questions. I don't know if it is a good idea or teaching tool, to point out just exactly is wrong here. I think a better way is to give the inexperienced a tool that they can compare to known valid or real coin photos. It really should be an easy determination with a comparison. Screenshot_2015-12-06-04-23-50.png Screenshot_2015-12-06-04-23-46.png Screenshot_2015-12-06-04-25-24.png Screenshot_2015-12-06-04-25-28.png Screenshot_2015-12-06-04-25-51.png Screenshot_2015-12-06-04-25-54.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-06-04-22-34.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Markus1959 and tommyc03 like this.
  21. SuperDave

Nicely done, Hommer. You've just made these into a searchable piece of data for future teaching about fakes. The trouble with these is, the problems are difficult to describe - *everything* about them is wrong, but only slightly wrong. They're fakes at a glance, but only because I've glanced at a whole bunch of Morgans, and it'd take paragraphs and/or discussion to list all the little things.

Pics are worth thousands of words. :)

rzage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted