Fake 5oz coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Jul 13, 2016.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

No ,it's not hard to understand at all my main purpose of posting n this to warn my fellow collectors of a fraudulent piece floating on the bay.... and to help get the idea behind heres some more pics along Side a Mexican 5 onza uploadfromtaptalk1468777182077.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468777196146.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468777203509.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468777216793.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468777226736.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468777244226.jpg

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

Post VB more pics

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's perfect. :)

It's pretty clear from the photo that the fake piece is larger in BOTH diameter AND thickness than the Mexican piece.

The weight in grams is always unambiguous; I wish we could all just go by grams instead of ounces. 144g is 5.08 standard ounces, well under 5 troy ounces.

Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for helping to shut down one more seller of fakes on eBay.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Weighing in grams is always preferable over any other unit.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

"Perfect" would've been first page, first post....

Now, this begs the question of how does the OP know his Mexican piece is genuine without the need for holes or acid? ;)

paddyman98 and Kentucky like this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

OK bigger and thicker would allow a silver plated coppernickel alloy to be used to fake it.

By the way, just because two coins are different sizes in no way to judge if one is real or not. A silver eagle and anCanadian maple leaf are both 1 oz .999 fine silver, but they aren't the same size. A silver eagle and a one oz silver round are usually not the same size either. Same goes for real 5 oz silver coins. they are all the same weight, but they come in different sizes.

8. kaosleeroy108

Mass + density= wght

9. Kentucky

Uh..."Mass + density= wght"...not even close. Assuming wght = weight, then on earth for common use mass = weight. Density = Mass/Volume

10. kaosleeroy108

Yes your right I knew I was missing something in that equation

Kentucky likes this.
  11. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

The point conder is making is that measuring the diameter of twp coins and the width of the rim of two coins, and comparing them does not prove anything. Coins of the same weight and silver composition can have different rim to rim measurements based on the actual design depth used.

12. kaosleeroy108

Well

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

"Well"..... what?

14. Pap4tinker

Pap4tinker Active Member

You don't suppose it was because of you do you?

15. Pap4tinker

Pap4tinker Active Member

By the way, I have that exact same kitchen scale! :woot: but it sucks and I went to a gun shop and bought a scale that measures to 0.1 grains which I think was 0.006 grams. In much happier now.

16. Kentucky

If I were to guess, probably a synonym for poop.

17. kaosleeroy108

But why is the larger coin weighting 5.5 oz larger then the Mexican version and united states 5oz

18. kaosleeroy108

Well I wonder it's comparison to the modern u.s. 5oz

19. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Just have to say, this does not quite convince me. 144 grams is 5.08 ounces, but it's been drilled and has lost some weight. The 5 ounce Mexican coin only shows up on his scale at 5.3 ounces, so his scale could be badly miscalibrated. These scales round, so that 5.3 could be 5.25 rounded up, and 5.25 ounces is 149 grams. So on the low side, the drilled coin could weigh 5 grams less than the Mexican 5 ounce coin. Now, 5 grams is the same weight as 2 silver dimes, but I don't have a sense of scale for how much metal he drilled out.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In his first post it was 5.2 oz before he drilled it.

21. brandon08967

brandon08967 Young Collector

Is it possible that one of the rounds isn't pure .999 silver? If it's say 90% silver, it would have to weigh 5.5 oz in order for there to be 5oz of silver.

Draft saved Draft deleted