Fake 5oz coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Jul 13, 2016.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

eBay and the dealer said I could keep it

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

It says it's very .925 but credit through twice but turned green in the middle at 1 point as

4. kaosleeroy108

Might split the bar from what impurities and other metals it's mixed

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

If it's 925 scratch it on a stone then put a drop of 18k acid on the marks on the stone. If they turn a cottage cheese color type of white then it's sterling. Haven't done it on 999 but I'm assuming it will turn the same cottage cheese color and look

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

How does the acid react to the metal INSIDE the hole you drilled? I'm wondering about a silver plated coppernickel alloy. It is lighter than it should be to be a pure silver piece. Too heavy to be a straight copper nickel alloy. Most of your heavier silver colored metals that you would have to add to bring up the weight cost more than coppernickel. Of course you would only have to increase the thickness very slightly (about 8%) to account for the weight.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Based upon what, this ridiculousness? I can't say with any level of certainty one way or the other if what this individual was doing was wrong, but can say that you've proven yourself a less than witness for the prosecution.

8. kaosleeroy108

It has nothing to do with prosecution , no ones on trial ... he just got caught quickly ..

9. kaosleeroy108

Well the coin weight 5.5 oz I imagine some mix of nickel and silver alloy to allow for some top coat of silver... I'm sending it to my friend who's got a x-ray spectrum analyser so I'll see what it has in it

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Do you understand that 5.5 standard ounces is about five troy ounces, and that if you put a legitimate 5-ounce silver puck on the scale in your photo, it will show a weight (in standard ounces) of around 5.5?

beef1020 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Please let us know the results ASAP! This will be very interesting... :facepalm:

12. kaosleeroy108

My Mexican 5 oz token read 5 exactly and is way smaller

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You may have had the scale set to a different measurement. Or I could be wrong, but it looks from your photo like it's saying "oz", not "ozt". Every scale I've used lets you select oz or ozt (or grams, or grains, or carats).

As for size, I'd want to see exact measurements of both diameter and thickness.

14. kaosleeroy108

Ounces,oz

15. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

This question has been asked a number of times and you have not answered it. Are you avoiding it?

16. BooksB4Coins

What?? Do you bother to actually read or think about what you say/write? You did EXACTLY as I said, and in fact have positioned yourself as judge, jury, and executioner based upon highly, highly questionable "proof". If it's fake and the seller knowingly trying to defraud buyers, fine... but you're again sticking your nose into other people's business, condemning them first and before all facts are known. I this really THAT hard to understand?

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

*Note to self..
    Never... never ever buy any coin from anyone in any country in ASIA! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

18. kaosleeroy108

Will do so now

19. kaosleeroy108

I agree

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. kaosleeroy108

Didn't notice till I paid for it in a batch of 12 items I paid for

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. BooksB4Coins

Will do what now? Finally answer the most obvious question and one repeatedly asked of you?

Draft saved Draft deleted