Fake 2011 Canadian Silver Maple Leafs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ozcopper, Jan 10, 2012.

1. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

i am as sure as the maple leaf is pure silver. Mack

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Oh im sure theyll fix the veins and just about everything else soon enough. After all it probably costs them 2 bucks to make each coin and they can sell them for 10 to profiteers very easily.

Better learn to gravity test or acid test imo fellas.

4. jump4pay

jump4pay New Member

Sorry for the delay in my response. The die crack was the most obvious flaw in the counterfeit. There were other smaller details missing like the artists initials under her neck. I wanted to get the word out as soon as I found a large amount of them so people in the coin community could be on the lookout for them. They have been located in Washington, Oregon, Kentucky, Ohio, California, and in the Carolina’s. I have recovered over 500 so far. I am working with the Secret Service (I’m not a G man) to shut down the import of the coins from China. The imported was buying them by the pound (about 100LBS) per shipment so there are a lot out there.

They have also imported American silver eagles, which I collect, were the artists mark is a 3M instead of JM. There are a lot of differences in the counterfeit and if you are familiar with them you can spot the fake very easily. I will attach some photos. I do not have the thickness on the counterfeit coins.

If I get any more information I will post it. Thanks to all that took the time to look at this. Although I have only been collecting coins for a few years, I have found that counterfeiters are undermining this “Hobby of Kings” which I have grown to love. I will do what I can to keep them from shying people away from collecting.
    IMG_0501.JPG IMG_0500.JPG

5. appliancejunk

appliancejunk Silver Bullion Investor

Well now, don't that just suck.
    Hope the Canadians are looking for the counterfeiters too.

So do you call the local cops if you find a fake ASE or ML?

6. jump4pay

jump4pay New Member

yes. They will make a report and forward it on to the US Secret Service along with the coins. Hopefully the officer will have some idea of who the USSS agent is for the area. Usually the Special Agent is assigned to a larger city in your area. Just remeber that the wheels of government justice are slow espeially during election time and most agents are unfamiliar with coin couterfieting since this is th first time in about 20 years they have had one of this scale. Most Special Agents are only familiar with paper money.
    As far a s avoiding getting taken by these guys, check any coins you see on Craigslist. They have sold many coins this was to unsuspecting silver and gold investors. Also if you buy from a dealer, double check some of the coins. I have had 3 honest coin dealers fall vicitm to the counterfeiters because they didn't think to look closer at the coins to verify they were real. Usually the weighed them and they came out close enough not to look at them. In turn they sold them to their customers as genuine unknowingly.All of the dealer that sold the counterfeits retunred the customer's money and I am helping them get their money back from the counterfeiters.

Also on a side note, I was told that it is illegal to own counterfeit coins. SO if you have any for examples to show custmers or other dealers and the USSS finds them they will ake them. You should not be charged with a crime unless you are trying to sell them as genuine or they are stamped COPY.

Draft saved Draft deleted