Fake 2011 Canadian Silver Maple Leafs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ozcopper, Jan 10, 2012.

1. ozcopper

ozcopper Junior Member

Here is a follow up to my fake ingot video:

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvgCAj_ywjw

In this video, I am showing some of the high quality fake 2011 Canadian Maple Leaf coins that are flooding the market place.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BMoscato

BMoscato ANA# R-1181086

Do you know what the outer metal is?

4. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I was ready to mix myself a drink. The filing process was a bit lengthy.
    But, I don't think it's a surprise where these fakes are coming from.

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Yeah... the OP might want to motorize that portion. Slap that baby against a grinding wheel for a second or two.

6. brightspirit1

brightspirit1 Member

I really worry that the sophistication of today's counterfeiters is going to destroy the hobby of numismatics.

7. quartertapper

Even his cat was wondering what all the racket was!

8. quartertapper

You and me both! I recently bought a known counterfeit (reluctantly), just to see if my local coin dealer of over thirty years could find the flaws (because I could not). It alarmed me at the amount of time, and amount of tests it took to determine it authenticity. Scary times in the numismatic world.

9. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

ozcopper, I see you have a website. How do I make a plain XXXXXXXXXX.com for free without any of the stupid "xxxxxxxx.randomwebsite.com"

10. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

You don't... Registering a domain and buying server space all cost $$$$$

11. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Yes domain registration and bandwith doesn't come cheap. Especially if you plan to keep it ad free.

Anyway oz what's the weight and dimensions on the maple leaf?

12. LEG END

LEG END Junior Member

You know, Americans have more money than China, so how bout this. The government in China is all about undermining confidence in our money, and they delight when we get taken by one of their local counterfeiters. So why don't a group of coin hobbyists get together here and start minting CHINESE FAKES by the gazillion, and flood their country with them. Sell them on EBAY for pennies on the Yuan. Ain't capitalism Grand, yee commies pigs.

13. jump4pay

jump4pay New Member

I am working a case that involves counterfeit 2011 reverse proof silver maples. They weight between 31.4g all the way to 32.1g. I have found 96 that have been sold to unsuspecting coin dealers. All of the coins were presented in acrylic cases and look very to be authentic at first glance. The one identifying item I have seen on all the coins I have is a die crack located on the middle leaf on the third point to the right. I will attach a picture to show the die crack. If you see this die crack, it is a fake. Several of these coins have been cut open to reveal a brass colored core. Hope this help.

Attached Files:

14. ericgo

ericgo New Member

i thought that the only maple leafs released that were reverse proof were ones with privy marks?

so isn't the absence of a privy mark on a reverse proof maple leaf enough to indicate that it is counterfeit?

15. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Very interesting info can you tell us how thick the silver plating was and was there any metallurgy done on the core.

Not that familiar with leafs but weren't there only around 5k released with privy marks'?

16. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Well G man. If all you see is some die crack that shows a difference you need to look way harder.

The maple leaf is COMPLETELY wrong. The most obvious in my eyes is that at the bottom center of the leaf the fakes have no veins. Its blatantly obvious. And a design flaw that can be seen from 10 feet away.

17. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

18. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

You can get shared hosting at about $5 a month, some even go as far to say you have unlimited drive space and bandwidth at such costs, the only downside is, your domain is on a server likely with hundreds of others. So if one site gets DOS'd, it can take down your site and the hundreds of others on it. ;)

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

May want to save this picture. From ozcopper.com:
    maple-real-vs-fake.jpg

20. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Great pictures!

21. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

It is not completely wrong and quite surprising since this one of first major counterfeits' of maple leaf (first attempts at fake pandas' were pretty bad). Don't be surprised if they fix the veins issue in next batch of fakes'.

Draft saved Draft deleted