fake 1907 British Sovereign

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by teh_admiral, Dec 6, 2018.

1. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Ever heard of Specify Gravity?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the chuckles. I don't buy gold collectible coins over the internet without detailed pics of the exact coin I am buying. PERIOD. Scratch testing? Are you a Pawn Broker?

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Wasn't sarcasm, just a statement of fact. The other methods all have shortcomings and can be fooled. The scratch test only test the outermost surface of the coin unless you cut DEEPLY into the coin. XRF guns test more deeply but are still pretty much just a surface test and can be fooled by thick plating. There are more high powered machines that can penetrate deeper but try usually don't test all the way through and are not readily available. Specific gravity is good when done carefully , but can't tell you everything because proper selection of alloys can provide the result desired even though the alloy is wrong. I don't know enough about ultrasonic testing to specify its shortcomings but I'm sure they exist. But melting it down and then conducting a proper assay by a trained person is the only way to be absolutely sure of the composition.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Much appreciated desertgem! I was wondering how many times the OP was going to call us "Retards" without any repercussion. The kid was so angry, he didn't know who said what.

Nathan401 likes this.
  6. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to put a stop to that dudes belligerence. Now I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted