fake 1907 British Sovereign

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by teh_admiral, Dec 6, 2018.

1. teh_admiral

teh_admiral Member

@Nathan401 If you knew some HISTORY or actual numismatic FACTS about minting and alloys, then I wouldn't call you an idiot. But you refuse to believe that coins are the same as cars: new until they're NOT. Which means any "premium" over spot = EMOTIONAL purchasing. But if you knew anything about MONEY you would've known this, instead of being all high-and-mighty.......

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

[QUOTE="teh_admiral, post: 3258457, member: 99788"@fretboard The only grief I'm getting is from everyone who doesn't want to believe that they could have been had or their friend could have been had. [/QUOTE]

Here's are the facts: Several collectors already mentioned that acid testing on a gold coin is a big no, no. Instead of saying, ok lesson learned you are fighting with everyone on this coin forum! :punch: In order to get respect on this coin forum, you have to show respect, period. ;) My hope is that you stick around and learn but if you keep acting like a blow hard know it all, and it's you against CoinTalk membership. You will get no sympathy. ( unnecessary)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018
  4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Why are you so mad at me?! I’m not the guy that scratched your coin.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

6. teh_admiral

teh_admiral Member

@fretboard And here are the facts: anything over spot = emotional purchasing. Period. If you knew what coin collecting is, then you would know this. If you knew anything about business, then you would know this. If you were truly a numismatist, you would be as upset about fakes as the ones who have written the US Mint about it (again, go READ the link). If you don't think pointing out the truth, citing sources where REAL numismatists use SCIENCE and MATH to prove the fallibility of XRF, then YOU AREN'T A REAL NUMISMATIST. That's a FACT. Because people who CARE do the RESEARCH. Which is why I came here: looking for FACTS about coin-making and a reasonable explanation why my sovereign is for a FACT only +18k and NOT 22k like some IDIOTS said. And said idiots THINK it's "real" 22k because APMEX is soooo pro. When the FACT is APMEX finds my approach reasonable enough to offer a refund, because they can't argue against how ACCURATE acid-testing is. And you IDIOTS talking about "scratch-testing = damaged goods" obviously don't know the LITERAL DEFINITION of the word "mint." And I'm not mad at you @Nathan401 because you're an idiot who hasn't offered any numismatist FACTS i.e. KNOWLEDGE about coins. Proffered opinions on what constitutes "damage" does not a numismatist make. Collectors' opinions don't meanEdited: Read rules on Lanuage my gold that I expected to be 22k BEING 22k is what means my coin is REAL. Unlike the crap you all must be sitting on, venting your frustrations because you refuse to accept the truth. Just go look at Ebay for the price difference between an MS-62 and MS-64. And the FACT is that grade still means that coin was CIRCULATED, but as close to mint as possible i.e. maybe changing hands only a handful of times? Regardless, that coin is still gonna have SCRATCHES OMG, except maybe it won't have many. OMG my shipwreck silver shows signs of wear-and-tear from being under the ocean!! It's not worth anything because of damage... IDIOTS.......

Respect will be shown to people like @desertgem who has suggested SCIENCE to test coins and facts about sovereigns being more copper-colored in general. That's why we go to "pros", because KNOWLEDGE is shared. Not worthless judgments that are obvious signs of self-consciousness.........

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2018
  7. teh_admiral

teh_admiral Member

And respect OUGHT to be shown to MASTER jewelers who know how to test metals and minerals WITHOUT leaving any signs of scratching. If I had the money, I'd buy a Lambo and never turn it on! But alas, I can only afford coins that have actually been used...... And if you have taken a coin to a "pro" who literally damaged your coin with a bad scratch test, then that person WASN'T A PRO. Because that's the definition of the word "pro". Y'all gotta work on your English as well as numismatist knowledge..........

8. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

@teh_admiral All the noise aside, your logic train led you to damage and then return a perfectly genuine coin. And that is the moral of this story.

TyCobb and Nathan401 like this.
  10. teh_admiral

teh_admiral Member

@Numismat Wrong: a perfectly genuine coin would test at the % / karat that it was minted at. Like my 8 escudo. Otherwise it's a FAKE. Period. And again: any coin that is CIRCULATED is "damaged". PERIOD. You obviously don't know what the word "circulated" means, do you? And again, my logic is that of other REAL numismatists: REAL >>> fake. Science + math >>> "visual inspections"... Your OPINIONS mean as much as my FAKE sovereign = NOTHING. @TyCobb I expected real FACTS, but so far only @desertgem has provided any useful COIN-RELATED KNOWLEDGE. The rest of you are idiots who think fakes could never happen to you...

11. fretboard

The lunacy continues... mz_5451794_bodyshot_300x400-5.gif

12. teh_admiral

teh_admiral Member

@fretboard Lunacy = believing people who use eyeballing to gauge metal content. Lunacy = ignoring numismatists who use NUMBERS to prove things like XRF isn't foolproof. Lunacy = thinking your OPINION matters more that KNOWING whether a gold coin is 22k or not. Lunacy = saying a coin "is" 22k when it was SCIENTIFICALLY tested to be only +18k. Lunacy = me repeating myself to a bunch of lunatics who have a bunch of probably fake coins, because "% content only matters to bullion investors" and PIRATES WHO CONNED YOU OUT OF MONEY. We do not use such derogatory descriptions , Change your attitude or stop posting. Thanks Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018
  13. teh_admiral

teh_admiral Member

@fretboard Lunacy = NOT KNOWING THE DEFINITION OF MINT VERSUS CIRCULATED.......... retards who THINK they're "numismatists".......... I've yet to see anyone go into HISTORY of minting, but all I get is a bunch of WHINY LOSERS who can't bear to hear the truth that they could've been had or their dealers could've been had. Boo hoo. Go reinforce your daydreams with other losers who don't care whether the coins they have are what they were told and wouldn't care anyways if it has less gold/silver than as stated..........

14. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

To be fair, acid testing also ins't foolproof. Especially on old gold which is not .999% pure. Your sovereign is alloyed with copper and it doesn't always mix evenly throughout the body of the coin. @medoraman brought this point up on the first page of this thread. APMEX tests every bar, round and coin they buy from anywhere other than a government mint and felt your coin was up to par, also based on science.

On a side note, is that 8 escudos from the Lima mint? Just curious because of the laminations.

15. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Wow,....can't believe this thread :wideyed: especially how patient the members are with the OP. Anyway, gotta go, taking my kids to the vet for a checkup. ;) :)

Pickin and Grinin and TyCobb like this.
  16. fretboard

Yep, my sentiments exactly. :D

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The only truly accurate test is to melt it down, stirring to insure a homogeneous mixture, then take a sample and assay it.

Jaelus likes this.
  18. teh_admiral

teh_admiral Member

@Johndoe2000$ Excuse me? I'm the one being patient with a bunch of IDIOTS who think a circulated coin is worth more than a circulated coin because one has been proven with a "damaging" scratch test. Are you all IDIOTS or what? Do you all know what MINT condition means @fretboard ?? Seriously I'm the patient one REPEATING myself to a bunch of high-n-mighty RETARDS who THINK an eyeball test is equivalent to science. If your coin is circulated, guess what?? IT'S SCRATCHED OMG you asshats..... It's WORTHLESS now........ And @Numismat you're just plain WRONG. If you were a REAL numismat, you would know that acid testing is accurate especially at 18k and 22k. It may not determine 20k versus 21k, but that's only because EYEBALLING colors that are mixing is still just EYEBALLING? And I don't remember where the escudo was minted, but I do know it tested at 22k solid from the same master jeweler. Which is why +18k for a sovereign means it's a fake sovereign. I specifically had them test it twice on 2 separate occasions in 2 locations to see if it was the mixing theory, but alas it's still only barely above 18k... And @Conder101 duh your sarcasm is so I don't even know what to say that could make you look more retarded. I could have just cut my coin in half and put it under an SEM, or I could have looked until I found a PMV, or I could just have it acid-tested by a master. Are you pathetic fools really so insecure you've nothing better to do than to troll? I'm still waiting on actual numismatic FACTS, like HISTORY or KNOWLEDGE of i.e. British vs. Spanish minting. But when I ask for SMARTS EDITED

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018
  19. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

20. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

You keep name dropping this "master jeweler" as if anyone cares. Jewelers have got nothing to do with numismatics and have no expertise with coins. A master jeweler is as qualified to identify and or test a coin as a master carpenter is. When you say "master jeweler", I guarantee everyone here reads it as "uninformed layperson".

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Teh,I have had enough of your ranting. The language is enough . Find another forum. Jim

Nathan401 and TyCobb like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted