Fake 1891cc?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Camreno, Jan 29, 2017.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Any new seller offering deceptive crap like this puts me into Research Mode. I'm rather bothered that there's a bidder with well over 20,000 Feedbacks who has put almost half of his bidding activity over the last month into this seller's offerings.

"Puttying" usually involves gold coins, and is used to fill in surface irregularities in the fields.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

1891 OC is the 1891 CC with the closed first C only. Looks like an 1891 OC. On an unrelated note in Massachusetts all the pharmacies are required to report over prescribing doctors because OCs have become so popular.

4. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Looked at the CC, yeah its totally off. To skinny as with the real ones they are fat

5. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Thank you. Learn something new every day. You are a cornucopia of coin knowledge and I hope we can teach each other things.

6. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Why is the bidder with 20,000 feedback cause for concern. Maybe they are a shady coin seller on FleeBay, a good seller could pass this off to plenty of noobs on the street.

7. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Thank you again. forgot to quote you in the thank you.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Auction almost over. It's up to $80. A real 1891 CC in F is around $100?
    Seller claims it is silver.
    1 minute left watching for the snipers. No snipes. Sold for $80.

9. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Welp it ended for $80 bucks, thought it was gonna go higher. I would have bought it for the original 25 bucks it was at. But not $80

10. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

If it didn't go over $100 bucks included with all the other junk, most people probably thought it was fake as well.

11. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

12. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

13. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

or maybe you photoshopped a real CC onto your plain old 1891.

14. SuperDave

I'm not saying I'm sure there's anything shady going on, just that it's an odd pattern. Anyone with >20k Feedback has too large a business happening to spend that much of their bidding time with one new low-volume seller. It's not unreasonable for someone to latch on to a new Ebay seller who may or may not know the worth of what they're selling, but this degree of concentration tickles the Spiedy Sense.

15. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Way to much skill to do that.

16. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

We need the pro's, fake or real? 1891.PNG

17. SuperDave

Fake. Last two digits are a dead giveaway. Look at the mint mark detail image posted, as well - it's not remotely close.

18. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

That's what I said! Guess I'm okay for a noob :p

19. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

For future reference, is there a go to site that shows nice big full detail images of real coins to compare fakes to?

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep. It's called Google Images.

Seriously, I Google the denomination and date, and then check Image results, and it invariably give me what I need in a few clicks.

21. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

LOL the PCGS site has tons of pics!

Draft saved Draft deleted