FAIR WARNING !

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by GDJMSP, Oct 27, 2016.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Git 'em Doug!

4. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

As long as the main issue is going to continue being dodged here, I'm afraid that this isn't going away anytime soon.

My .02.

Smojo, bdunnse and Omegaraptor like this.
  5. GDJMSP

And what exactly, is the issue that you think is being dodged ?

What I KNOW is this, the forum rules are not being obeyed. Those who continue to disobey those rules will suffer the consequences.

NOS likes this.
  6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'll solve this for you right now: Just, oh, maybe listen to the members instead of just dictating to us, and ban the stupid, self-promoting videos.

7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

What doesn't seem to be understood is that Silver Searcher is not breaking any rules and is to be treated fairly and equally just as anyone else. Additionally, this whole thing against "self-promotion" is without merit. Users on here post links to their personal websites all the time. These sites are typically not stores but exist for informational purposes. It is the same thing with these videos and please don't carry on about how money is being made from them being viewed.

This nonsense isn't mentioned when anyone else posts links to their Youtube channel or videos on this forum. Any money made is absolutely minimal and is only being mentioned as a crutch against Silver Searcher. Statements in favor of the flawed "self-promotion" argument and money being made is quite frankly irrelevant.

Should I see any new posts that I don't believe a moderator is aware of directed towards Silver Searcher which are of a harassing, profane or vulgar nature they will be swiftly reported.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    imrich likes this.
  8. Paul M.

It's plain as day, rule #3.

Maybe you missed that whole big section?

Wheatie44 likes this.
  9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Question on Rule #3A.

Every once in a while, I'll pull up a thread where a member is selling something and I "have insufficient authority or whatever" to post there or buy things.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

But read further down :

No one except the poster of an ad in the advertising sections can post or modify ( with certain limits), others must use PM (conversations)

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

At my "request" certain members have removed wording in a post that contains links to utube, that they added pleas to "subscribe" to the member, in the same post. Just the link themselves are used by many members for clips, songs, etc, which I personally do not like, but since often such is actually useful for numismatics, I understand why it is allowed.

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

So what era of music do you like - 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's?

Omegaraptor likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

No, you are the one who doesn't understand the rules.

3 – Self Promotion – self promotion is not permitted on Coin Talk. * See exceptions

A - Offers to buy, sell or trade by individuals and/or dealers are not permitted in any way, shape or form in threads and/or posts. If you wish to make such an offer, contact the other party by Private Message or email.

B - Posting links to personal sales sites is not permitted. A personal sales site may be defined as any web site of a business that you own, or the site of a business that you work for, or are affiliated with in any way, that offers items for sale.

C – Posting contact information such as phone numbers, addresses and email addresses in threads and/or posts for the purpose of making sales or advertising is not permitted.

For something to even be self promotion, the poster MUST be offering to buy, sell, or trade something ! And since Silver Searcher is NOT offering to buy, sell, or trade anything - he is NOT breaking the rules !

Endeavor and NOS like this.
  14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no one can post to a buy/sell ad.

you have to PM

Insider likes this.
  15. Paul M.

From https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/self-promotion :

self-promotion

NOUN
    • The action of promoting or publicizing oneself or one's activities, especially in a forceful way.
    This is the usual sense in which the phrase "self-promotion" is understood in English.

Regardless, those video threads are so annoying, they should be banned IMO, even if there needs to be a new rule covering it.

micbraun and bdunnse like this.
  16. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Ok Mod's. I've tried to stay out of this. I personally had not watched or clicked on any of the videos until today. I give props to the kid for doing what he is doing at his age. He also figured out a loop hole in the "forum rules" by not posting a link directly to his "Youtube Channel", but his intentions are once you have watched one of his videos, you subscribe to and visit his channel where he has a donation link. Now this may be a grey area, but it's what all the fuss has been about. I think it's great if he shares photo's of his finds and writes a post about them, but he's really pushing the flexibility of the rules here. Here are some screen shots from recently added videos as of the 25th as well as his YouTube Channel page.

I think this can now be construed as advertising...

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 2.58.36 PM.png Screen-Shot-2016-10-27-at-3.01.35-PM.jpg

bdunnse, Markus1959, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I've pretty much faded away from this nonsence but, Mark my words. Let this kid keep doing this and pretty soon this forum will have many more people doing the same thing.
    When I log on to CT and I see a bunch of idiots posting.stupid videos for money or fame as this kid is doing I'll move on to another site were I don't have to put up with unsolicited bull.

micbraun, Bman33, imrich and 6 others like this.
  18. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Ya mean like this one too?

Published on Oct 27, 2016
    At it again with the big silver from coin roll hunting.
    Thanks for your support on the "support silversearcher" donate button, just foe those who have donated, all money goes towards new filming gear and my gas money! Everything helps!

John77 likes this.
  19. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I'll ad that getting a PM and asking if such & such is ok, is cool. I'm all for that theyre asking if you would or would not like to participate and done so in taste.

But getting something you dont ask for rammed down your throat on an open forum and on a daily basis is altogether different.
    OK, I'm done. Continue on, lol.

bdunnse likes this.
  20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

WOW! I am learning a whole bunch about our young entrepreneur. (Think about that for a moment!)

21. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

He often posts stuff to the "Coin Roll Hunting" thread/forum that has NOTHING to do with Coin Roll Hunting. This is not being dealt with. Threads of his which should be moved to a more appropriate thread/forum aren't being moved.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted