F/o D/s O/c??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NPCoin, Aug 10, 2008.

1. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

I know it is far from the greatest specimen of an 1852 silver 3-cent, and it's damaged...but it's mine! :)

I've had this coin for quite a while now, but never noticed until tonight while I was looking at some of my old photos, that something was different. So, I took the coin out with loupe in hand and verified that it indeed was no optical illusion.

So what do you all think? Flip-over Double Struck On-center??

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Just guessing, thin planchet or really stong stike. Very cool. Also looks like some rotation. May be hard to tell, but there are repunched 1, hairthin serifs,double date(check bottom r quarter of numbers), heavy date and incomplete star for this year according to Breen Encyclopedia 1988. 109 obverses and 44rev.

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Interesting. I certainly looks like it could be. Too bad it circulated so long.

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Just noticed something. If that is a 2 on the strong rev. side and it is facing the right way(not mirror), it is what u say. I hope it is!

6. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It's a case of progressive, indirect design transfer -- a form of die deterioration. It's common on very thin coins like silver 3c pieces. It's also common on wheatback Lincoln cents, especially in the years 1946 - 1948 from San Francisco.

7. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Thanks for the input, Mike. How would you be able to discern a flip-over as opposed to die deterioration on a coin that is extremely circulated? Thanks.

8. mikediamond

A flipover double strike would ordinarily show sharper borders along the edge of the six-pointed star (the transferred impression, that is). So would a die clash. The soft borders and overall mushy appearance is characteristic of progressive indirect design transfer.

9. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

This is a 1924-S wheatie I have, not nearly as clear as the above example (difficult to see in photo unless angled), is this a similar case?

[​IMG]

10. mikediamond

Yes, the 1924-S cent shows a case of progressive indirect design transfer.

Draft saved Draft deleted