Extremely Disappointed with PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by KubrickRules, Aug 2, 2018.

1. KubrickRules

KubrickRules New Member

Hello, fellow Coinees!

Hope all is well.

get to the chase:

I have been a member of PCGS for years, and I can't remember how many years.

Every year they debit my credit card, send me a Polo Shirt( this year it was XXXL, a real TENT), send forms for eight ( 8) "Free" submissions good for the year.

Never had a problem with PCGS at all, not even a bad daydream.

But I guess I will find out of I truly got what I may have deserved...

Three( 3) of the 8 coins...hmmm...

Two of them, Franklin Half Dollars, should have gotten the Full Lines( FL) designations.

One was an Indian head cent w/ VF "Details" some sort of "scratch". I got this one cheap, so no big loss per se.

I asked an eBay aquaintence, I will paraphrase what he wrote me:

" What were you thinking? That ANY grading company is going to grade a coin you send in on Economy Tier is gonna let you go to Heritage or Great Coll. and make $30,000? You can get a big-shot to send the Franklin's in FOR you, and that is what several coin folks do. You got what you deserve".

Opinions??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It sounds like your acquaintance is claiming that if a big-shot send the coins in the coins will be treated differently than they will be if you send them in. Is that what you are asking for an opinion on ?

If it is, he's wrong. The claim made by your acquaintance is one that is often repeated but it simply isn't true and never has been.

As for other comment about the 2 Frankies, you think they should have gotten the FBL designation, but they didn't. I can't say if they deserve it or not without seeing the coins.

What I can say is PCGS is and always has been more lenient when it comes to the special designations than NGC is. PCGS only requires the bottom row of lines be complete and unbroken (unbroken by both strike and contact marks) for the coin to get the FBL. NGC requires both rows of bell lines be complete and unbroken.

I can also say that I have seen a great many Frankies slabbed by PCGS that were given the FBL that did not deserve the FBL. In point of fact most of them did not deserve it. So if they didn't didn't give it to your coins, then I can only assume the coins didn't deserve it, even by their lenient standards.

But, by all means, post pics of them and we'll see.

*coins, Kasia, Jaelus and 5 others like this.
  5. KubrickRules

KubrickRules New Member

Out of town - will post pics when I get back.

6. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

PCGS slabs are glued together with pureed kittens.

Evil.
    So very evil.

beef1020 and Bud1 Wilson like this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Looking forward to the photos.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

:nailbiting::jawdrop:

Gregg likes this.
  9. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Soon after I started collecting, I sent several coins to PCGS for grading. Like you, I was disappointed with PCGS when I received the graded coins.

What I’ve come to learn is that I shouldn’t have submitted the coins for grading in the first place (to ANY coin grading company). Simply said, the coins I submitted were not worthy of being graded/slabbed. As a new collector at the time, I had unrealistic expectations about how the coins would grade.

This is likely a lesson learned by many new collectors.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I did the same with ANACS three years ago...5 coins, first submission. The costs FAR OUTWEIGHED the value of the coins...Spark

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

lol.... that's NGC

Kirkuleez likes this.
  12. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I did the same with NGC once... of the five coins, two or three were worth the cost, the others... two definitely were not.

13. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I'll get blowback for this; however, I like to submit coins as part of learning how to grade them. While I realize we've several pro-graders here at CoinTalk I'm very new to the process.

Having a set of polished/cleaned coins, or coins spread over a range of grades, means I've a little library to study in order to get my feet wet.

It can be a good exercise to put together a collection of 10 coins, grade them the best you know how, and send them into ANACS for about $100.00. While the coins may not be worth the money you spent I think the education is very worthwhile.

I've a polished Peace Dollar that cost me $30.00 plus $10.00 to grade.
    The Peace Dollar is worth about 1/3 what I've got into it; however, I can now spot a polished coin from across the room. In short, the upfront investment will save me money in the long run.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

The GOOD news is that you only wasted something they gave you for free. If you had paid for the privilege of being disappointed you would have many people who are sympathetic to your plight. Are those free grading certificates transferable? Maybe you could sell them and make a profit that way.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

That would work IF each slab had a visible indication of Graders and Finalizers, such as "
    GRADER A11H3 FINALIZER: BH4....but that is not their business format. Why do the Frequent auto renters get the clean newer UpGrade and not once a year Joe X ?? Repeat business is the key for profit.
    IMO, Jim

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Clearly written by someone who has no idea what they are talking about. Upgrades have nothing to do with repeat business or not, the only people who think that are people that have no idea what they're talking about who should be ignored

HAB Peace 28 2.0 and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Well said. I did the same thing. Got ticked off a few times but it helped me learn.
    When a coin came back lower or higher than what I thought, it was time to study why PCGS called it the way they did.
    To be honest, after a bit of study, I had to agree with PCGS, most of the time.

DUNK 2 likes this.
  18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't mean any offense but, usually when people complain about third-party grading being inaccurate, the problem is more often that the submitter does not know how to accurately grade.

19. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Maybe a little off topic but I sent my first submission into NGC not long ago. 9 coins. Two that are really nice but I suspected were cleaned, did come back as being cleaned. One was a MS-63 IHC formerly in a PCGS slab that was cracked out. NGC graded it a MS-63 as well, never knowing what PCGS gave it.

Also a Buffalo nickel that was a MS-65 cracked out of an NGC slab was regraded as a MS-65 again. A 20 cent piece that was graded VG and was also previously cracked out came back in a new slab as VG once again. I was impressed that they nailed them 3 for 3. Granted this was NGC but I guess the point was on a small level to reinforce that the TPGs have professionals doing this on a daily basis, that have seen it all. They regraded stuff for me that I normally would never have regraded and they repeated what others had thought in the past.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

With no actual written and published standards, and as often as the TPGs change their standards, AND each TPG using different standards - how could anybody know whether a grade was accurate or not ? What was accurate yesterday is not accurate today, and vice versa.

The problem with the system in place, the system being used, is that people "assume" the TPG is always right. But how can they be right when they are so clearly telling you that they themselves were wrong yesterday ?

Once that actual concept sinks into your mind, well, pretty much everything one "thought" they knew, pretty much flies out the window.

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@GDJMSP Yes, but FBL still means FBL. That designation hasn't changed.
    This is not a gray area where a weak strike or late die state could affect the grade. It either is or it isn't.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted