Extra P printed under MONTICELLO text

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by LandK, Feb 15, 2018.

1. LandK

LandK New Member

20180212_171233.jpg 20180215_203247.jpg 20180212_171315.jpg Could this be worth anything?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

You may have a dropped letter error - specifically a dropped mintmark - but your photos must be better to make that determination. In fact, you may have to present the coin to an error collector or dealer for examination in person to be conclusive.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@LandK

The "Dropped Element" theory might be possible if the obverse was the hammer die, but then the imprint would be on the obverse rather than the reverse.

I think what the OP sees is just a strange discoloration acquired during 20 years of circulation.

Chris

352sdeer, Kentucky and Stevearino like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

just a strange mark that resembles a P letter

352sdeer, Kentucky and Stevearino like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like it took a hit.
    PMD - Post Mint Damage

@LandK coins are minted/struck.. Not printed.. paper currency is printed with ink.

352sdeer and Stevearino like this.
  7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Not a dropped letter

It's numismatic pareidolia

8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Did I mentioned I had my pareidolia removed? I recommend it.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I took my pareidolia to be groomed yesterday.

She almost bit the lady.

Stevearino and CoinCorgi like this.
  10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, just based on your pic, it sure does look "printed".

It's just a used coin.

Stevearino likes this.
  11. paddyman98

I gave my wife a bouquet of pareidolias for V-Day yesterday.. She loved them!

Stevearino and CoinCorgi like this.
  12. David Setree Rare Coins

My grandmother put a pareidolias on the arms of her easy chair.....

yartiques, TopcatCoin and paddyman98 like this.
  13. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I saw some clouds that resembled pareidolias once.

Actually, the coin does appear to have taken a small nick for the upright and then received an unusual stain, all post mint of course, giving an illusion of a random "P." However, the coin still has some interest, even though no extra value, if the first photo is accurate. I believe I see considerable strike doubling in several of the letters.

LandK likes this.
  14. LandK

LandK New Member

Thank you for your help everyone that actually posted something helpful and informative. The extra P looks identical to the stamped P on the otherside so im not sure how a mark over time could have caused it to be so perfect, i might take it to an expert to give me some advice.

15. paddyman98

Yes go and do that.. My 31 years of collecting Mint Errors is not good enough. And the many many years of all the others who also responded.. Especially Fred Weinberg!

sakata likes this.
  16. David Setree Rare Coins

While I was out yesterday, a gentleman brought in a 2009 Lincoln that had a "P" mintmark ABOVE the date.

My wife examined it and was fairly excited saying she could see it plainly. She is seasoned as a numismatist but not expertly.

The fellow returned when I was in and I saw what he saw. When I put it under a glass I could plainly see it was a grease spot.

Didn't have even the slightest resemblance to a "P"

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

One of the responses that said your coin was not an error was from one of the countries leading experts on error coinage (plus a number of other responses from very knowledgeable collectors). You'll be hard pressed to find someone with better credentials.

18. David Setree Rare Coins

Yes, who you gonna ask next? Dear Abby?

19. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Your right Paddy that Fred guy is sort of sketchy. I once saw a photo of him hanging out with.....oh that other guy was you......never mind. Lol.
    Reed and Sparkles the Unicorn

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, you do that, but make sure your "expert" is not one of the coin dealers in your area! From my experience, most dealers know very little about error coins. They will just blow you off by saying something like, "You might have something there. I think you should submit it for grading."

That's the way they get rid of someone who is wasting their time.

By the way, the next time you find an "error" coin, don't bother posting it here for the real experts like @Fred Weinberg or @paddyman98 to give you their honest and experienced opinion. Just post it on BoobTube!

Chris

Oldhoopster likes this.
  21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

@LandK ... we'll give you the benefit of the doubt, after all on the Internet nobody knows you're a dog, but everybody knows your dog.

The great thing about this site is that you never know who is on the other side of the screen name... a lot of the people here are true professional experts and/or incredibly knowledgeable amateurs - all willing to share knowledge.

You may not know Fred, but if you start counting off the top error coin people in the world, you will have fingers left on the first hand when you get to him.

He's not being snide - pareidolia is a psychological term for the tendency of the human brain to turn random images into recognized patterns.

Yes the chance of a ding + stain looking like a P is small, but across the billions of circulation strike nickels minted over the last decade, even a "million-to-one chance" happens several times.

As it happens, then, this wasn't an error. Doesn't mean they aren't out there nor should you stop looking or asking questions!

I recommend looking at error-ref.com - that site has lots of infornation about types of errors and examples!

Good Luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted