Extra D

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Cecelia Valverde, Oct 21, 2017.

1. I have this 1987 nickel ,that seems to have an extra D on the reverse over United above the D,tell me if anyone else sees this .There is a shinny spot in that area also.
    Thank You.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't see an extra D. I see damage to a circulated Nickel.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. My imagination I guess ,thank you

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Are you referring to the slight ghostly looking D under the letter I in FIVE?...
    That looks like it could be a stain on the surface.
    Capture.JPG

6. Yup that’s the one ,but you did say D,.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's called "pareidolia", Cecilia, and is something you may want to familiarize yourself with if you're going to be searching for errors or varieties.

Now please, don't take this wrong; I'm not insulting you in ANY way. Pareidolia is perfectly normal, and in fact, an example of it can be seen on the Connecticut state quarter.

8. Thank you for the information ,I wouldn’t take it wrong we all enjoy learning.I also have a quarter where it looks like the big fish is swallowing a smaller fish.

9. BooksB4Coins

Thank you as well, and I truly mean it. Unfortunately, I'd have to say that about half the time or more, when pareidolia is mentioned to someone, they take it as some sort of insult, even after explaining that it's perfectly normal and/or giving well known examples of it.

You've a good attitude, and because of it, should do well in this hobby. And don't be afraid to post the fish quarter one of these days... ;)

paddyman98 and Cecelia Valverde like this.
  10. It has more detail under the 10x,my picture taking is not the best,gotta work on that too.

Attached Files:

11. BooksB4Coins

Your photos are not that bad, especially when compared with some of the others here, including those who can do much better but simply don't feel like it.

And I see what you mean... :)

Cecelia Valverde likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted