Explain why the D is so big in 1989

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Trebest, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Trebest

Trebest Member

Just curious why the D is the same size as in GoD. Can anyone explain ? I've research a little but didn't find anything on it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Because a different sized mintmark was used. If memory serves me, the larger can be found on 1985-89 cents.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

If you find that funny or strange welcome to the world of variety collecting.
    If you do a little research look at a cherry pickers guide, you will find some really crazy things on coins.
    Have you ever heard of misplaced dates? Hoe about the 1847 /7 US large cent?
    Thats really crazy as under the primary 7 theres another smaller 7 as plane as day.
    D mint marks over S S over D mint marks... O over S and there's many many more!
    Here's a little tid bit.... back in the day....it was not uncommon for workers to drink on the job....not water! :) The subject you touched on in your post can be a fun subject to search.... and I believe my reply may spark a interest in you.

5. Paddy54

Here's 2 images of mint marks on a buffalo nickel both omm over mint marks D/S 1938DOMM001cc.jpg downloadfile-3.jpg D/D

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I agree with @BooksB4Coins
    Also.. I would not compare the 1989 D to the other Cents because it is a Copper Plated Zinc Cent.
    Plating issues may also make it appear bigger.

7. Trebest

Trebest Member

I'll have to do more reading but misplaced dates! Lol I'ma beginner a friend got me into this and another person said watch out it's addicting! well it is I'm barely on pennies! there is so many details and excited thinking I got something and the experienced person thinks, beginner !! Lol getting mixed up ugh but I'll read more so I know what I'm talking about and not sound stupid. Never paid much attention to coins any other way but spend it now it's like, What Year is that!!!!? Lol thank you all for assisting me

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The daily allotment of alcoholic beverages at the early mint ended in 1825 before the mintmarks came along after that date drinking at the mint was no longer allowed. (To make up for it a slight increase in pay was approved. Except for one employee who had been getting a slightly higher rate of pay because he was a teetotaler. He lost that differential.)

9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

My employer lets people drink on the job:jawdrop:
    Except for those of us who operate heavy machinery:sour:

10 years ago, the owner and myself would start at lunch time, and be sloshed by 5pm
    :dead:

10. Paddy54

:p
    If you reread my statement it sez...back in the day....it was not uncommon for workers to drink on the job....not water! It did not give any specifics. And could of pertained to coffee as any other beverage.
    And it was until July 31,1970 "Black tot day" that the British Royal Navy ended rum rations ....a traditional first started in 1655 .
    Also back in the day it wasn't uncommon for workers in general to comsum alcohol at any time of day.... durring working hours, be it a daily allotments or lunch at the local pub.
    Atlanta Georgia May 8 1886 Coke - Cola was invented one of its ingredients was cocaine. Bottoms up! :p

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You guys have any openings, my boss makes me wait until almost three. He’s a tyrant.

12. Paddy54

Hey St. Paddy's day is just a day away......everyone gets a free pass ,and can be Irish no matter...what....:wacky:

13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure that 1989 was the first year that the mint mark was part of the hub for cents. No more separate mint mark punch. While it didn't have to be bigger, it was easy to make it bigger. When the mint mark was added by hand, it was advantageous to use a smaller punch if possible, because it was easier to sink into the die.

Draft saved Draft deleted