Experiences with US Coin Digest 2018

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by larssten, Dec 15, 2017.

1. larssten

larssten Well-Known Member

Hello,

I just upgraded my US Coin Digest 2016 to the 2018 edition and just wanted to share some of my brief experiences with the updated price levels.

Generally it looks like lot (if not most) of the prices has reduces - some significantly down. Other random coins like the 1862-S Dime has gone significantly up.

Here are some random examples:
    - 100c 1899 XF40: $205 to $165
    - 50c 1928 Hawaiian Sesquincentennial MS64: $3775 to $2500
    - 10c 1862-S XF40: $300 to $950
    - 0,5c 1803 VF20: $325 to $230

Does anyone have any insights to explain (if) any systematic underlying factors for the price adjustments? Or any other explanations for the specific examples mentioned above?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I would think this should explain everything that needs explained. I mean it kind of says it all.

[​IMG]

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Like the Red Book, I would not rely on that publication for price guides.

Chris

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

6. Kasia

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  7. Kasia

But on a different interest level, their index vs the gold coin one is nearly the same...

[​IMG]

But their key dates shows a different story

[​IMG]

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But even that has fallen to levels not seen since early 2006. And it's still dropping.

9. Kasia

Perhaps it is a long term consequence of the dot.com boom/bust and housing market bubbles... There were a lot of businesses failing and a start of foreclosures. I really don't know if it can be traced to the US economy of say 2000 to 2005 and monies being put elsewhere or if to some degree there is less of a collector's market in this hobby, like @V. Kurt Bellman has been advocating. perhaps the people coming of age just are much more interested in other hobbies or interests or even perhaps see it as something that could fall apart like the baseball card craze did, or is a consequence of not using real money that much in real life, prefering plastic and electronic transmissions.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Doug for clarification you are still an active participant in the market place right so you are actually informed of what you speak of? Did every stock drop in 2008? Is every stock rising now? I just wonder how such a pricing expert always ignores so many things that always quotes that uniformative mata analysis.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

And for YOU, Herr @baseball21, it's clear to me that denial/De Nile is not just a river in Egypt. Yes, yes, I know, you're "all in" on the positive outlook for everything Internet-related, partially because your business model is dependent on it, but really, how much self-aggrandizing baloney are we supposed to swallow for you? Huh?

It's clear to me that "nobody knows or can see ANYTHING" other than you.

12. baseball21

I honestly have no idea what you’re attempting to say here other than do you think a PCGS overall market chart of everything is infalilable?. The only thing I can say is that for the sake of the PA people I hope this isn’t how your legislature gets data. If anything I’m sorry people were ripped off in the old days.

You guys do realize all the record prices have happened during that down turn? I know people are trying to kill the market to get cheaper prices but seriously that chart means nothing Unles syou think every stock crashes in a down market or every stock is rising now.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

What SPECIFICALLY is inaccurate about it? I know, I know, you say it is, and that's all we need. I get it.

What I am saying, incidentally, is that you're an unrepentant "pump and dump" operator.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

That is the mega high end market, which bears ABSOLUTELY ZERO resemblance to the whole market. That's Laura Sperber's playground, not ours.

15. baseball21

What specially is accurate about it? Do you deny record prices have happened during the down fall? Do you think everything is going down? Auctions prices disprove that notion as do sale price, should facts not matter?

Keep up the person attacks Kurt, all they do is make you look bad.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

I'm not attacking a person, I'm attacking a moron. See post #13.

17. baseball21

For the voting public I truely hope this isn’t how you do analysis in your job.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

What IS misleading about this chart is presenting it with a non-zero base. It makes things look worse than they are.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, it actually is, and I can TRULY spell in the English language, too.

20. baseball21

Random inaccurate charts are how you make arguments in your job? Those poor voters. I would have expected you to appreciate actual research, seems I was wrong

21. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, my main job is to identify and call out the liars who send us self-serving pseudo-data. People like you. All you ever do is advocate. You never produce data. All you are is "Look at those 1862-S dimes, there, huh?"

You're all misdirection and sleight-of-hand. You take the exception and try to sell the snake oil of it being typical.

Draft saved Draft deleted