Experiences with CGB Numismatics

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Romancollector, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with CGB in Paris. For those of you who are in North America, or more specifically in Canada, what are your experiences with their service, shipping etc....? With the exception of Roma and more recently NAC, I don’t usually bid in European auctions.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

I've been buying from CGB without problems since before 2000.

4. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

I buy from them now and again when I see a bargain!..Which isn't vey often!...BUT..
    Professional, quick postage and what's more important for me excellent customer relations....I'm on the same land mass but fellow collectors over the pond seem to have the same positive answer...

jamesicus, Orfew and Romancollector like this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I've bought at least two coins from cgb (plus the Wolkow book on the zoo coins of Gallienus), and my experiences were all positive. They do tend to be generous in describing the "grade" of their coins, so you have to make your own decisions based on the photos. I haven't bought any coins from them since the current international mail situation began in March, so I can't tell you how long their coins are taking to arrive in North America, but the Wolkow book arrived in less than one week.

6. Romancollector

Yes I’ve noticed that with the grading, but I think the same can be said for other European auction houses. I think CNG’s grading, though sometimes conservative, is the most accurate.

Restitutor and jamesicus like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've bought a few from them, most recently late last year and for a very good price (thanks to @Cucumbor for the heads-up!):

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Domitius Domitianus
    RY 2 (297-8 CE)
    potin tetradrachm/hexagram/othergram; 9.56 gm, 23 mm
    Obv: ΔOMITIANOCCEB; laureate head right
    Rev: draped bust of Serapis to right, LB left and palm to right
    Ref: Dattari 6186; Emmett 4242

8. Romancollector

Veryyyy nice coin @TIF

jamesicus and TIF like this.
  9. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

Same here - very positive experience.

jamesicus and Romancollector like this.
  10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Hassle free transactions. Very professional service too.

11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I've purchased a sestertius from them last summer, they discounted it 5% which was nice, and made it to the states in a couple weeks. The communication was initially a little lacking, but it turns out that, hey, it was summer and many businesses in France or Europe take weeks/months off (being from US I didn't realize that this happened), so though it took a little time to make the transaction, all worked out just fine and I was happy.

To keep this post honest, here was the coin.
    [​IMG]
    Faustina I, Wife Of Antoninus Pius
    AE Sestertius, Rome Mint
    Struck in 151 AD as 10-year
    remembrance of her death.
    Obverse: DIVA FAVSTINA, veiled bust right with stephane.
    Reverse: AETER-NITAS, Fortuna standing left holding globe and rudder.
    References: RIC III 1107c
    Size: 33mm, 23.9g
    Notes: Very scare.

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Fast shipping, professional service, and no headaches. I have dealt with them a number of times and have always been very pleased.

jamesicus, Romancollector and DonnaML like this.
  13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Like @Orfew and you, I'm also in Canada. CGB is very professional, you can't go wrong. (I also enjoyed visiting their shop in Paris once... they were even friendly, which, for Paris, is saying something! :D)

Scipio, jamesicus, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Haha !
    So true !

Parisians feel they are above all and everyone in the world. How could it be different ? They live in Paris, ya know !! :D

That said, living in France myself (fortunately not in Paris), I've dealt many times with CGB. They are the most prominent coin dealers in France at the moment, with a very efficient service, and promoting free sharing of data (big archive database, editing a free monthly web magazine, which were unusual here in France).

As stated above, their appreciation of grading is somewhat optimistic (it can be very optimistic sometimes) when it comes to selling (it's another animal, when you sell to them, of course). You have to have your own scale in mind to decide whether the coin is worth a bid or not.

Very high starting prices are sometimes disturbing when you're used to low starts made for attracting attention by most auction houses. The consequence is most of the time coins sell at the starting price because they have just one bid, or stay unsold (about 30 % of the offering remains unsold in general).

On the positive side, fees are quite low in comparison to other sources : 10 % + VAT on premium, which is a mere 12 % to add to the hammer price.

More confidential, less in the sunlights, I would consider dealing with I-Numis too, also in Paris, with a similar quality of service, even though their website is far less handy. I've had very good exeriences with them (IDK about their shipping over the pond though)

Hope that helps
    Q

PS : I'm of course not affiliated to any of the auction houses I mention, neither by family nor business :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  15. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

They are one of the big French dealers in ma-shops and have bought from them with no issues.

16. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Just as a minor counterpoint, I bought a high value coin from CGB a handful of years ago and it was a struggle getting communication about where it was in the shipping/customs clearing process. France is notoriously slow with customs clearing but the main issue was that they didn't have experience shipping to the US for a higher value coin and ended up pulling a favor with another auction house to manage the transport of it.

I did receive the coin in the end but it took almost six months to arrive, with only part of that time being the export delay.

17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I think the point @AncientJoe arose has been solved, thanks to the Covid situation. They have now exeprienced shipping via DHL and it looks like they are satisfied with the service. They might well go on using them in the future while the situation improves

Q

18. Romancollector

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences... I think I’m safe to go ahead and bid!

jamesicus and DonnaML like this.
  19. Romancollector

I’ll have to visit them next time I go to Paris....it’s one of my favourite cities. I’ve been to Paris 4 times but I wasn’t actively collecting then.

20. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

That's great to know - thanks!

jamesicus and Cucumbor like this.
  21. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have had good luck with their e-auctions. My last lot was 4 cut coins, including the top of Nero's head. I thought the price was a bargin.
    brm_521620.jpg
    I have bid only a few times on their Live Auctions. The LA coins are nicer and prices a bit higher. When I won a lot in the live auction, it took longer to hear from them.

+VGO.DVCKS, Ryro, singig and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted