Expat´s top 10 of 2023

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by expat, Dec 7, 2023.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

As I have only been collecting ancients for less than 2 years, this year I have acquired a mixed batch of coins. Greek, Republican and Imperial for the main part. I am attracted to coins with reverses that are different to the standard deity/god, but sometimes the obverse trumps that.
    Here are my 10 favorite purchases
    4Gyzrk5F6ZdZJX9gnmB8sQ78N3fWc5.jpg
    Nerva Rome mint 97 AD
    AE As, 10.15gr, 27mm RIC 77, Cohen 7, BMC 127
    IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P, laureate head right / AEQVITAS AVGVST S-C, Equitas standing left with scales & cornucopiae.

5cFGM3WipJA876SwPd2c4KCfagA97G.jpg
    GORDIAN III AR Drachm. Caesarea mint. ETDelta - Mount Argaeus.
    Obverse: AV KΔI M ANT ΓOPΔIANOC C. Laureate head to right.
    Reverse: MHTPO KAIC B N. Mount Argaeus, pellet to left, ETΔ in exergue.
    Syd 603d Var. Caesarea (Cappadocia) mint, A.D. 241 (year 4). 2,7 g - 18 mm

7nfLrSE4Ab8a8Bo6g2MXCt9HWzc53p.jpg
    Faustina II Orichalcum Dupondius, 13.55g, 27mm. Rome 161-164 CE.
    RIC 1671, Sear 5303, BMCRE 995, Cohen 201.
    FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, diademed draped bust right / SALVTI AVGVSTAE, SC below, Salus seated left on a low decorative chair, feeding from a patera a serpent coiled around and raising up from altar.
    4641906_1696266388.l-removebg-preview.png
    DOMITIAN (92 AD). Denarius. Rome.
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P XI.
    Laureate head right.
    Rev: IMP XXI COS XVI CENS P P P.
    Minerva advancing right on rostral column, with chlamys blowing backwards, brandishing spear and holding shield; to right, owl standing left, head facing.
    RIC² 730, RSC 274. Weight: 3.23 g. Diameter: 19 mm.
    20230925_141302 (2)-side.jpg
    Lysimachos, Kingdom of Thrace, AE 20mm, 5.20 gr. Generous flan. Lysimachia mint. 305-281 BC. Helmeted head of Athena right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛYΣIMAXOY, above and beneath lion leaping right, spearhead and M on O monogram below. Mueller 74.
    20231019_104228__2_-side-removebg-preview.png
    AR denarius (3,87 g. 17 mm.). Rome, 138 B.C. C Renius
    Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet and 5 drop earring; behind, X designating value/
    C•RENI below, ROMA in exergue, Juno Caprotina, holding crook, reins and scepter, driving biga of goats right.
    Crawford 231/1; Sydenham 432; Renia 1.

qJr48RtMf9QSN42xk3zKZij5L7pC6G.jpg
    Elagabalus AR Denarius, Rome 220-222 AD
    IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate draped bust right / VICTORIA AVG, Victory flying left, open diadem in both hands, shields to both sides, star in right field. RSC 300. RIC 161. BMC 234. 2,8 g - 18,5 mm

Tacitus.jpg
    TACITUS Antoninianus. Ticinum mint.
    Obverse: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG. Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: PAX AVGVSTI. Pax standing left, holding olive branch and transverse sceptre; P in exergue.
    RIC 150, Cohen 72. Ticinum mint, early-June 276. 3,5 g - 22,5 mm

pM9Ga3PtcD2ZbDx8J42ozRM75wgC5L - Copy.jpg
    Faustina Sr AR Denarius, RIC 361, RSC 101a, BMC 417, SEAR 4583. DIVA FAVSTINA, with elaborate hairstyle and draped bust right / AVGV-STA, Ceres standing left, long hair tied behind, raising right hand & holding long torch with left.
    Rome mint, A.D. 141. 3,0 g - 15 mm

Pn5oqMY88B7kJbC24RaJCg3w9mxEKN.jpg
    Trajan 109 AD Rome .
    IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP, laureate bust right, draped left shoulder / COS V PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC, Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and leaning on column. RIC 120s, RSC 81b. Woytek 286a.
    AR Denarius, 3.61gr, 19mm.
    This has been a very enjoyable collecting year. It has also been an insight to explore the various bits of history pertaining to each acquisition, and to be given great insights from other much more knowledgeable collectors.
    Feel free to state your favorite of those posted above.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Nice coins! I think my favorites are 10 (always been partial to Nerva), 3 (stunning portrait of Tacitus), and 1 (just a very sharp coin, all around)

Congrats on a great year!

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Thank you, I am looking forward to 2024

panzerman and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins, you have a good eye for quality.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Looks like you had quite the year. My favorites are the Tacitus, Nerva and Trajan in that order.

7. Homer2

Homer2 Well-Known Member

Trajan is such a sharp piece. Congratulations on your acquisitions!

expat likes this.
  8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Congrats @expat, really nice and interesting coins, all of them, though I am in particular fascinated by the Tacitus antoninianus.

panzerman and expat like this.
  9. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Great lineup. I have to admit I like the Tacitus as well - very sharp portrait, and it looks like there is still some of the original silvering on the reverse and obverse.

10. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Amazing coins - congratulations.. that TACITUS is my favorite.

11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Awesome top "ten" expat:) I cannot pick any favs/ since they are all super coins. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!
    John

expat likes this.
  12. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Tacitus is a real beauty! I remember when you posted it, great surfaces & portrait

expat and panzerman like this.
  13. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Great coins all! You really have an eye for aesthetic appeal. The detail on the Tacitus antoninianus is outstanding.

14. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Nice coins @expat Tacitus from Ticinium mint, Lysimachos lion, and Gordian Mt Argaeus would be my first picks - although I had to break a three way tie for 3rd pick. Best wishes for 2024!

expat and panzerman like this.
  15. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

The Tacitus antoninianus is easily my favorite coin. I love the fine style engraving and centered, medallic flan

Curtis and expat like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Love the patina on that Nerva, and the Elagabalus is sharp.

The Tacitus caught my eye, though I don't usually fall for stuff that late, chronologically speaking. It's got that great centering and full-circle borders on both sides, plus it appears to still have a trace of the silvering. Nice one.

(I'd like a Florian that looked like that.)

expat likes this.
  17. Codera

Codera Well-Known Member

Nice selection, I have to agree that the Tacitus antoninianus is superb, a nice, sharp strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted