Expanding the Collection : Sasanian Hemidrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by icerain, Feb 22, 2017.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I've always been interested in many different areas of ancients. Maybe thats why its so hard for me to focus on one area. But I guess in a way thats good, my collection covers more eras and areas. Here is my latest interest.

[​IMG]

Muqatil, Abassid Governors of Tabaristan: Hemidrachm
    790 AD. / AR25 , 2g
    o: Facing bust of Muqatil, head right, wearing winged crown surmounted by star and crescent, inside single dotted border, crescents with stars at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. U in lower left margin, APD in lower right margin
    r: Sasanian style fire altar with two attendants standing facing, crescents on their heads, both hands on sword hilt, inside triple dotted border, crescent with stars at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock. Three pellets at the diagonals
    Mitchiner 282/284

A little history about Tabaristan :
    When the Sasanian Empire fell, Yazdegerd III ordered Adhar Valash to cede the dominion to spahbed Gil Gavbara in 645 CE, while western and Southern Gilan and other parts of Gil's domain merged under the name of Tapuria. He then chose Amol as capital of United Tapuria in 647 CE. The dynasty of Gil was known as Gavbareh in Gilan, and as the Dabuyids in eastern Tapuria.

Tabaristan was one of the last parts of Persia to fall to the Muslim Conquest, maintaining resistance until 761 (cf. Khurshid of Tabaristan), when local rulers became vassals of the Abassid Caliphate. Even after this, Tabaristan remained largely independent of direct control of the Caliphate, and underwent numerous power struggles and rebellions.

In the early 9th century, for example, a Zoroastrian by the name of Mazyar rebelled, taking control of Tabaraistan and persecuting Muslims there before his ultimate execution in 839. After this rebellion, the territory was largely restored to the control of the Bavand dynasty, who ruled there as vassals of various successive empires, including the Seljuks, Kwarezmshah, and Mongols

The area of Tabaristan quickly gained a large Shi'ite element, and by 900, a Zaydi Shi'ite kingdom was established under the Alavids.

While the Dabuyids were in plain regions, the Sokhrayans governed the mountainous regions. Vandad Hormozd ruled the region for about 50 years until 1034 CE. After 1125 CE, (the year Maziar was assassinated by subterfuge) an increase in conversion to Islam was achieved, not by the Arab Caliphs, but by the Imam's ambassadors.

Mazandaranis and Gilaks were one of the first groups of Iranians to convert directly to Shia Islam.

ValiantKnight, TIF, Orfew and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Tabaristan, Umar B. al Ala hemidrachm.jpeg
    Umar B. al Ala
    AR hemidrachm
    Tabaristan

4. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

And let's not forget Sulayman b. Musa (787-789), who apparently didn't want to risk making a graven image on his coins and replaced the portrait with the Arabic word "bakh" ("good"):
    Tabaristan.jpg

Volodya, Orfew, gregarious and 10 others like this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet OP-addition, icerain (congrats)

Hmmm, I'm fairly sure that I still only have this one humble example of this cool coin-type? (I'll check and get back, if I have more examples)

Sasanian Kingdom, Peroz I AR Drachm
    459-484 AD

sassya.jpg sassyb.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Well, if we are doing Sassanian, we need to see this handsome devil. Kavadh I, also known for forcing his nobles' wives to go into the marketplace and have sex with strangers. :D

Kavad I Sassanian Empire.jpg

I'm not saying this is the most handsome portrait in Sassanian numismatics history, but it's got to be at least top 5 easily.

Orfew, gregarious, Alegandron and 5 others like this.
  7. alde

alde Always Learning

Nice coin. I have been looking at these too. So many coins and so little money.

gregarious and icerain like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

these are cool coins IR, and your's is a nice one. mine's a bit rough, but your thread inspired me to reshoot it...not perfect, but it looks better.

100_5814.JPG

Orfew, stevex6, alde and 8 others like this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice example

gregarious and icerain like this.
  10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Figured I post this here instead of starting another thread about something similar. Got this from a fellow forum member.

[​IMG]
    Hormazd IV, AR Drachm, Year 5 (583)
    Uncertain Site (Fars or Central Iraq)
    AR32 , 4g
    pwzn | whrmzd
    Facing bust, head right, wearing crown with tassel to left and surmounted by crescent with |||: inside single dotted-border, crescent with stars at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock
    hwms' | WYHC
    Fire altar with two attendants, wearing tall headgear, inside single dotted-border, no marks outside border
    Göbl SN, Hormizd IV, Ia/1

Sallent, Alegandron, Ajax and 3 others like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

congrats, icerain ... nice score

icerain likes this.
  12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@icerain

Great coin and I really appreciated your writeup.

icerain likes this.
  13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

These are neat... I do want to get one of those bizarre Sulayman types. Here's mine. I haven't really researched it yet, but I think it's the anonymous type from 776-779:

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 4.44.54 PM.png

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have only a couple Sassanians to offer. Wonderful coins, but I have not delved deep enough into their histories to have a full appreciation on them:

I, too, captured these to Expand My Collection...

[​IMG]
    Persian Sassinian Ardashir III 628-629 CE AR Drachm 36mm 3.85g Zoroastrian Fire Alter Gobl II-1 yr 2 Delta RARE

[​IMG]
    Sassanian Shapur I 240-272 CE AE Tetradrachm 10.78g 27mm Ctesiphon mint phase 1a mural crown korymbos - fire altar type 2 SNS IIa1-1a

stevex6, Parthicus, icerain and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted