EXONUMIA: 1943 Australian Shilling & Florin Locket with Soldier Pic

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wlwhittier, May 8, 2019.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Peripheral Member

~23.9mm diameter, ~8.9mm thick; 15.7grams

The soldier is better focused than my pic shows; the clear 'lens' looks to have been poured...that is, I believe the material fills the cavity completely; the outer surface is flush with the face of the Shilling.

The back (Florin) is beautifully formed to exactly match the OD of the Shilling; there is a slight, uniform gap between the two coins, but they appear to be inseparable...I'm afraid to use more force than my fingertips can provide.

Overall, an extremely finely executed piece of wartime jewelry! a real delight to hold.

Is there a formal name for such art? Where can I find out more? Thank you...wlw

fullsizeoutput_552a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_5529.jpeg fullsizeoutput_5528.jpeg

spirityoda and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

That is cool looking. I wonder if it was a pendant or for a watch fob ???

4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Peripheral Member

Compared to the rest of the work, that wee wire is almost a joke...an afterthought! It will swivel 360, and wobbles some...but doesn't have any endo at all. Looks for all the world like a brass sewing straight pin inserted from the inside, with the head serving as a stop, and the shaft bent for an eye. Maybe the thing does come apart...and so that pin really is a post-production modification. But then without such, it would have had 'no visible means of support'. I'm puzzled, but ver' glad to have it anyway. wlw

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

It is a very cool piece.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

@The Penny Lady® Charmy might be able to tell you more about it. She has a collection of things like this.

7. A Stevens

A Stevens New Member

I have a almost the same peice

Draft saved Draft deleted