Featured Exhibit - Grading The Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tmoneyeagles, Jun 23, 2010.

1. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I'll second this. If all the dates are common, I wouldn't send them in unless they were MS65. There are so many MS63/64 common dated Morgans out there that getting them slabbed wouldn't do a whole lot. A lot of collectors prefer raw coins, and the older I get, the more attuned to that I am as well.

Doc J, GoldFinger1969 and medjoy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ranmatendo

Ranmatendo New Member

Thx for the replies. I would be sending them in mainly as bulk to get the bulk discount and my main idea for grading would just be to ensure authenticity for ease of sale eventually when silver is back over $35 per oz

4. Jackie O. French

Jackie O. French New Member

Great key points and loved how you broke down the coin pics and descriptions. Made it easy to read and understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

If you would like to see 750 Morgans all arranged by grade from PO-01 to MS65DMPL, with all intermediate grades, check out here http://www.1881o.com/all-coins.html

This is now about a five year project of discovery on the 1881-O and you can click on any image to see high res scans and VAM data. Every coin is PCGS graded and VAMmed by VSS so there is professional confirmation of all data.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Doc J and tmoneyeagles like this.
  6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Impressive!

7. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I really want to see that 84-S in hand (the MS62). From images looks like the nicest 62 I've seen so far, surprised it didn't gold CAC.

8. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I attended a large show in Dalton, GA today. There were many dealers with thousands of Morgan coins.

I ignored the graded stuff and only looked at raw coins. I found about 12 raw Morgan's that I thought were good buys. Three were rare years.

[Slightly off-topic]. I found two raw Liberty Head $20 gold coins (one was especially interesting).

Another thing is the correct facts from some dealers. I act as if I am a new guy at a coin show. I found out today that 1964 and below coins, as well as Morgan dollars are 96% silver. Please update your file.:D

juris klavins and JPeace$ like this.
  9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@Doc J , I'm attending a coin show tomorrow.

I'd like to ask you about the Morgan's you purchased. Were they brilliant uncirculated, according to your grading? Did you detect any light hairlines from a light cleaning?

10. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

12. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Coins are often like art, valued by some and not others.

13. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Excellent info! My circulated silver coin stack just jumped 6.7% in value :p

14. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

You better update your file. The pre '64 silver is 90% silver.

15. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

Travis, can you do a thread on VAM's? To be honest, I'm a little confused about how VAM's are designated or assigned. I did see the website called VAM World. But to have a certain VAM, it looks to me that it must have all the items (sometimes 3, 4, or 5, different items on the same coin) to be considered a certain VAM designation.

Example: I have a Morgan that has (2) items out of (4) marking for a particular VAM designation. If I have (2) out of the (4) is it still classified that particular VAM? Or, must I have all (4) to get that VAM designation?

Thanks for this great thread you posted...outstanding!

Draft saved Draft deleted