Featured Exhibit - Grading The Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tmoneyeagles, Jun 23, 2010.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Me, too. Good work, tmoneyeagles. Your dedication paid off. I know I could have used a straight-forward, no-nonsense guide like this back when I was learning the ropes.

EDIT: Of course that was back before The Beatles discovered America, but we shan't say anything further about that. :D

green18 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ron W.

Ron W. New Member

4. Ron W.

Ron W. New Member

Thanks for sharing this info, helps in my collection of Morgans.
    Ron W.

5. Ronald Richmond

Ronald Richmond New Member

Hello Travis

Just wanted to tell you this is the first thread I read of yours. I really enjoyed it your reading of the coin to me was very impressive I enjoy looking at old money and the ways that people grade the coin.

Thank you for the enjoyable reading it went very good with my morning coffee. And there were very nice words said to you from other readers. I believe you entertained us all thank you so much
    Sincerely R.F.R

6. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

7. CHUCKCXB

CHUCKCXB Active Member

I have been a long time user of Photograde .. I only wish their photos were as good as yours

krispy likes this.
  8. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

Thank you for this outstanding thread! Is there some way to bookmark this so that I can use it as a reference in the future?

9. DMPL_dingo

DMPL_dingo Well-Known Member

Select the “Watch Thread” feature to bookmark it in Cointalk. You'll receive notifications (which can be turned off) when a new post occurs. Alternatively, you can also just bookmark the OP permalink to access it as reference, whenever.

10. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread as I think the entire piece, but especially the beginning, is fantastic.

tmoneyeagles, chicken man and Cascade like this.
  12. GoldFinger1969

I would love for someone to create a thread like this for Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles. From, say, AU-53 and up...no need to go all the way down to the lower grades....with lots of details maybe even quantifying how many scuff/bag marks can be on each side of the coin and on the devices/mirrors to maintain a certain score.

Any takers ? :D

Dougmeister likes this.
  13. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Haven't started a thread in a while, I think I'm due. :D

Just gimme a couple months...:rolleyes:

GoldFinger1969 and Dougmeister like this.
  14. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

T$$$...Weren't you in the Ebay Coin Hood at one time. I remember a few of y'all. MrMet, Magicman, Shinn and a few others. I liked that hood. Hey, good job on your Morgan thread.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  15. tmoneyeagles

Hot diggity daffodils! What a blast from the past! Yes, that's the first forum I participated in starting back in 2007. I haven't thought about Shinn in at least 8 years :eek:--he and @Chiefbullsit and also Ricky (founder of Coinhood.com) used to get into it all the time. That was a nice little group, with the aforementioned, along with Javasdad, @Travlntiques, silver*coins, Dennis--those were the days.

Travlntiques and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  16. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

Yep, those were the days. I remember those guys, and Ryan post here all the time, haven't seen Chief lately. Yeah, Chief and Shinn were classic...:woot:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Travlntiques likes this.
  17. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I'd say it's time! The coin world is calling you back T$-man! Pretty amazing to think almost 9 years have passed since those early days. Remember our first con-artist take-down....was it MambyPam or something like that? Lol, back in those days we could actually see the buyer/seller ID on every transaction which sure made sleuthing a lot more enjoyable.
    Cod, Mustang, Stormynurse, Sniffer....all good memories, Chief & Shinn were always the best though. Those battles would get new posts every few seconds! Still we never could beat that Coffee Lover Hood!

18. tmoneyeagles

Stormy! Stang! Cod! F-sniffer! Hot dang, the memories.

Travlntiques likes this.
  19. Ranmatendo

Ranmatendo New Member

Hi new to the site. Was wondering if I can get some opinions. I have a bunch of raw Morgan's and so I would like to know if I wanted to get them graded, what would be the conditions to send to make it worth grading? As in should I only send in BU or everything AU and up or what? I don't have any key dates and are all common dates. Thanks

20. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thank you. This was very helpful.

21. GoldFinger1969

If it cost $35 on average to get a coin graded, the coins will need to be MS on average to make it cost-effective.

An expert on Morgans can be more specific.

Draft saved Draft deleted