Featured Exhibit - Grading The Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tmoneyeagles, Jun 23, 2010.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Well, and this is what collecting truly comes down to. To you, this coin is a G4 and worth that money. If you bought that coin as a G4, and I know you know how to grade Morgan's, and were satisfied with that grade/purchase...then that's all that really matters. Even with strict guidelines, grading is still subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. IMHO, the key is not relying on the slabbed grade...being able to look at the coin and decide if the grade is right for the coin to you. That's the value of a thread like this and our discussion, being able to make those determinations. Because if we can do that, we can avoid overpaying (or maybe even get a good deal on a coin).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

And this is a perfect example of the subjectivity of grading.
    If grading was 100% a science, and was written in stone...this conversation wouldn't exist.
    Although it does look bad, on people who do go against written standards, but another problem with grading is we don't have .5 grades, nothing in the middle, and lots of coins are tough calls, they'll exhibit something of one grade, but not something of the same grade.

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is true, but we do have 70 points...which you would think would be enough. However, many of them aren't used. Rather than .5 grading, it seems more logical to expand the numbers a bit. For example, an XF is either graded a 40 or 45...there is no 41, 42, 43, ect. A G is either a G4 or a G6...no 5 or 7.

5. tmoneyeagles

That has crossed my mind many times...
    But then you have to think about the coins ins EF45 holders that might really be EF41. It would make the standards and publications out of date, and some of what collectors like me know, a tad out of date. If they introduced 'in-between' numbers to the Sheldon Scale, we'd all have to learn what the coins of the new grades look like and learn the standards. I think that might do more harm than anything else, although if there were going to be changes to the scale, I'd rather it be putting in an EF42, rather than having a MS71, 72, etc..

6. Jezzer

Jezzer Junior Member

Very beautiful and educational!:bow:

7. krispy

krispy krispy

I just re-read this thread in replying to this thread and wanted to give it a bump for others and newbies to CT who may also glean some info from it.

It's very well researched and fairly written I think so it's well worth one's time to read through it and bookmark the thread for future use. :thumb:

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

9. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

I think this was a great thread that helped me to further understand grading of Morgan Dollars.... I will continue to use this as a resource, and I beleive this deserves a bump.

10. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Just found this today myself and have really enjoyed both the descriptions and the photos for grading~ Thanks for the excellent work.......not sure if this was/is stickied but it should be~~

11. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

ok first, this is awesome (yes 1pic=1million words) second, to all those "thinkers" out there, what if, just maybe, that 1:1,000,000,000 chance there is found (or already in existence a MS-70 Morgan found??? do you think its possible (just realllyyy unlikely ) or are you like, nope kid, never gunna happen..?

12. Clint

Clint Member

Thanks for this spectacular thread. The best I have seen on the subject. I bookmarked it and hope it will stay up for a very long time. If it were in print, I'd buy it and put it next to my Bower's book (have you thought of taking that step?) And I'd carry a second copy around to stores and shows. Bravo!

13. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

(bump) Amazing thread.

14. tmoneyeagles

I've seen quite a few threads lately around these parts concerning Morgan Dollar grading. Just thought I'd bump this for those that might find it useful.

15. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Very, very, very good thread. I've learned a lot about grading Morgans from you. I'm not worthy:)

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Good thread Travis . Man I love that 68 .

17. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

I'm so glad this got bumped! Is there a publication available from HA that has a similar format with such great photographs?

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Camaro , I think 70 is way more than enough . How many people can tell the difference between a high grade or a low grade . The addition of the + and * helps but what they really need is a - sign , which of course the tpgs will never use . Best to learn to grade for ourselves and let the tpgs just be guides nothing more .

19. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I'm just not sure how Tmoney got the rights to use pictures of my 93s grade set ;)

tmoneyeagles likes this.
  20. royster

royster southroy

Very interesting and well done i can"t get enough of Morgans 1 thing that stuck out was the 1884-S MS62 it seemed to have fewer bag marks on obverse cheeks and fields than the higher graded 1879-CC MS63 with bag marks everywhere it did have more luster was the reason because they grade Morgans diffrently by mint marks like i have O mint marked coins in the same grade as a S or CC that seem to have weaker strikes especially the reverse eagles chest feathers and P"s that seem duller in appearence than S and CC bright luster look? Thank you for this interesting detailed gradeing post!

21. unnut

unnut Member

Thank you! I learnt something new today!

Draft saved Draft deleted