Exhibit 1876 US First Worlds Fair

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by connor1, Jun 13, 2010.

1. connor1

connor1 Collector

To celebrate the 100th. Anniversary of the United States Congress authorised the minting of these medals designed and engraved by George T. Morgan in Silver Proof/Bronze/ Gold Gilded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks pretty

4. connor1

connor1 Collector

1876 Centennial Medal (Bronze Proof)

Bronze Proof Centennial Proof engraved by George T . Morgan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Thats the 1st one I've ever seen. Are they low mintage and what are valued at in todays market?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Those are very nice, Connor. Thanks for sharing them with us.

In 1876, the Centennial Celebration was held in Philadelphia in conjunction with the International Exhibition. It was the first official World's Fair that had ever been held in the United States. More than 10 million visitors, the equivalent of about 20% of the entire U. S. population, made their way through the various pavilions and displays.

The size of the Main Exhibition Building encompassed 21-1/2 acres and was the largest building in the world. Some of the consumer products that made their debut for the first time to the public were Alexander Graham Bell's telephone, the Remington typewriter, Heinz Ketchup and Hires Root Beer.

Below is an example of one of the medals that was awarded to some of the exhibitors. It is bronze over a copper core, 76mm in diameter, 9mm from rim to rim and weighs 9.9oz.

Chris

Attached Files:

7. connor1

connor1 Collector

So -Called Dollars

You will have to search under "So-called Dollar" on the web.I stopped collecting them years ago. I haven't seen any silver proofs in their original presentation case like the one I posted.The Gold Gilt is hard to find unscratched.
    Sorry I cannot give you mintages but the bronze non-proof raw uncirculated is the most often seen for sale .
    Their is an organization named TAMS (Tokens & Medal" ) that you can google & they will definitely answer all of these questions.
    I think you could get a nice Bronze for under $75 if you looked around on Eba .Here is a nice Gilt from the Pan-Pacific Expo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I like the Pan Pac, too! It was the first SCD that I ever bought.

Chris

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

connor:
    what does that Pan-Pac go for?

And your opening post--
    wowo, I know that all original cases are very scarce.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

connor, just as a heads up. If you haven't, you might want to remove that medal from the box for storage. The toning has reached the point that it will soon begin to cover and hide the luster if it is allowed to continue.

That's quite a treasure you got there :thumb:

11. connor1

connor1 Collector

Doug,thanks I will do that ASAP !

12. connor1

connor1 Collector

Treasure Hunter,I stopped collecting So-Called Dollar 7 or 8 years but if you contact TAM (Tokens and Medals) I'm sure they could answer that & any other questions you have on So-Called Dollard. Try a google search or go on eBay just to get an idea, Be carefull so of the Gold Gilted one have been re-Gilded ,so if you want to be sure buy one graded by NGC/PCGS.I think I won it (high bidder) it on www.Teletrade.com listed under Medals or Tokens .

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

thanks, connor.

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Hah - the Minhag continues

Draft saved Draft deleted