Exceptional George V 1935 Currency Crown - Obverse

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Dec 5, 2022.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Jubilee crowns of George V are relatively common and found in many accumulations of world crowns. The post-1927 Wreaths are somewhat scarce but more common than Mintage figures suggest, and the Jubilee crowns of 1925 are perhaps the most common EXCEPT that there are some special versions which include:

specimen quality 0.500 fine silver- Mintage ?? Not recorded
    Silver proof 0.925 fine silver raised edge lettering - Mintage 2500 pcs

Gold (22k?) proof - Mintage 28 pcs

Garbled edge proofs - Rarity 5 (probably
    either R3 or 4)

Other odd type proofs - rare

currency with in use edge 0.500 silver - Mintage 600k + pcs

currency edge varieties - rare

But the difficulty is to find any of the non-proof George V crowns, and even the proofs with obverses featuring pristine cheek, brow and mustache that are unmarked.

I have long wondered if this was because of bag wear or if these are areas that are not always struck up fully (thereby not striking out the rough areas of planchet). Possibly both?
    Anyway, here is a specimen with a relatively “clean” obverse and really great lustre that sadly doesn’t show well in the photograph:
    8C31D95D-E25D-4D9A-9724-7BB754E1F9D0.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

And here is the reverse for those interested:

45AD748D-2034-4178-B56D-C4A672D319CD.jpeg

4. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Gorgeous! Gotta get me one of those.

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Since they are plentiful, I would try to get a specimen like I have shown that is essentially mark free in the key areas in either specimen format or currency format. IMHO, the silver proofs are generally overpriced (BTW the proofs are nearly ALWAYS lightly wiped & so have hairlines if you look carefully in the fields especially - I am wondering if they gave it a last swipe before boxing at the mint). Some of the higher to highest GRADED pieces can go for quite a lot, but you may luck up on a very nice un-slabbed specimen.

Gallienus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted