Ex. Rare Unpublished Coin of the Kadamba

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Spotted this little oddball on the 'bay. The coin is described as Potin. First, everyone knows Potin doesn't hold up well, and the coin appeared to be in excellent shape condition wise. This comes from a series of coins that was issued in Banavasi from the mid 4th century to the 6th century but are oddly often given earlier dates. (1st cent.) The first century AD date doesn't work because the Kadamba of Banavasi gained independence from the Pallava in AD 345. A historical event I know next to nothing about.

This particular coin comes from the second ruler of the Kadamba dynasty. Named Raja Kanga Varma. He ruled AD 365-390. Kadamba coins are often found in mixed hoards with coins of the Satavahana and Chutu. In 2006 a hoard of these Kadamba coins was discovered for the first time. Most of those are of later, early 6th century rulers.

India, Banavasi
    Kadamba Kingdom
    Kanga Varma (r. AD 365-390)
    Potin Unit 18 mm x 0.93 grams
    Obverse: Zebu Bull right Kannada Legend around.
    Reverse: Repeating arrow design.
    Ref: Unpublished
    Note: Ex. Rare, high grade, off center.

(Any help with the legend would be appreciated :))
    Kangravarmabanavasi.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A very distinctive type - the zebu is great, and the repeated arrow design is wonderful.

wmichael and Ancientnoob like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

This coin is neat, reverse almost looks like a error with how it's done.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey Noob => that example is very cool ... animals and weapons!! (congrats)

I've never seen an example before (hopefully it's cool)

... great coin

:rolleyes:

see the way I did that? (I was just tuggin' your chain) ... that's a coin-term?

;)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Looks like a winner to me---I really like the devices and style.

I wish I could be of some help with the legends.....

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

another coin that i haven't seen, cool zebu but that bow and arrow design really stands out. kind of reminds me of the elymais AE drachms that have the repeating "dot" pattern on the back...but a bow is MUCH cooler!

Jwt708 and Ancientnoob like this.
  8. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't make out the legend on this one. The script is supposed to be proto-Kannada, which more resembles Brahmi than Kannada. I'v also seen these bull types attributed as pre-Kadamba. Above the bull could read "Sa Ma" or "Sa Va" but only part of the characters is visible. The text in front and beneath the bull seems to be in a degenerate script.
    But still a very nice catch !

Ancientnoob likes this.
  9. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

First time I seen such an unusual coin. Excellent piece @Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob likes this.
  10. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice AN. I have never seen a coin like that before.

Loong Siew likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Saw this coin, was interested because of the cool Zebu and bow/arrow designs, passed because I knew NOTHING about it. Nice catch NoobMonster!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  12. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

Pretty much what everyone else said. Love it.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Way cool pick up!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  14. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

No help with the coin, but the coin is awesome Masternoob!!:)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  15. THCoins

Did some browsing through "Ancient Indian Coins Revisited" by W. Pieper.
    Your coin is a good match to Pieper#721. He describes it as "Post-Satavahana, Karnataka/Andhra Pradesh border, 3d cent AD.

Ancientnoob and Mikey Zee like this.
  16. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

What do you make of that? Should this be considered an independent local coinage. Then this is technically a Pallava coin is thre any reference to the Kadamba? I suppose the coin then predates this dynasty? Now Kanga Varma a local ruler unknown to us, it doesn't seem to be a local title?
    As always I appreciate the effort you put forth, these Indians are not "easy" coins. I can easily see a life long study. I look for new and interesting dynasties and Kingdoms and there seems to be no end in site. :chicken:

17. THCoins

In this you probably know more than i do. I have no idea upon what evidence the attribution to Kanga Varma is based. His mayor historic achievement seems to be he lost the war against the Vakataka. However, an attribution as Post-Satavahana or early Kadamba seems a good guess for this coin.

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted