Evil Emperors and their coins.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by BenSi, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

The irony of this is that Isaac II was probably worse than Andronikos.

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

2kCJe6EmjWd3Fn8Qr4FPLL5eoHQ97N.jpg 3Tnag2iFDPy7E6NbGa4Js8JqZDo59C.jpg 4GrTg7iMY6q25AgbwoR63XyBX9ad8w.jpg 5wCXknY7W3Zqc9R2M9JeTTj46gEHm8.jpg 8MznPfb49RYnStN7kD3T32Wbjj5Zm6.jpg 9KjENo3Yc2B9bWr46zAwN5q776ZpQR.jpg 01155q00.jpg 650864.jpg 1870622l.jpg 73000839.jpg here is a mix of some of my evil ones, though we really ought to take their personal characteristics with a grain of salt. The historians (esp Suetonius) had grudges and came mostly from the resentful senatorial class.
    Nero was said to burn the Christians alive - though the tunica molseta was the traditional method of execution for all arsenists. But alas, yes he probably did have his mother killed.

Ed Snible, Obone, randygeki and 19 others like this.
  4. octavius

and continuing our journey into the dark side, who can forget Decius , Diocletian, and Elagabalus?
    721666.jpg 4090672.jpg Hty7kP9S84bGwB3wC5sAzsJ62dAS28.jpg pZ6YJ7Cri83FX9Xya54KH8zB5WEwm2.jpg tk3Xj7DexT2YCfN4oN8ngwE5a6bP9d.jpg iQ92Y4b8WeS79TyfBNx5cM8o6ZXjGp.jpg 4495540l.jpg

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

You have very beautiful coin! (I’m assuming they are yours)

6. octavius

Thank you, and yes, they are all my babies!

BenSi and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Your coins, octavius, are unusual in that they show exceptional eye appeal and style in addition to their high technical grade. Not everyone appreciates the difference between mint state and good looking!

TIF likes this.
  8. octavius

Thank you very much. I appreciate that. And I think your web site is terrific.

9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I always thought Diocletian was a "good" Emperor;) Since he is in this thread, might as well post my example:happy:
    AV Aureus ND struck circa 286 Rome Mint 678cc53cc4cd8e63057698ace260a8d3.jpg 1c5c99880e5b2b53a85711f86c5a1074.jpg

randygeki, Alegandron, BenSi and 5 others like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Today it is hard to go a day without hearing about a politician caught in some activity that ends his career. Very few are accused of killing opponents (a few are but many fall short of that level). Using 2019 standards no Roman Emperor could avoid a minimum of life in prison. They did not use those standards. Many 'good' emperors were killed but the rest did something that far exceeded impeachment level crimes. I have absolutely no use for the concept of only collecting coins of people whose behavior passes your standards. I don't even know what Diocletian did that caused his name to make this list. He was one of the best rulers Rome had even if he killed a few (thousand) people as he deemed necessary using the standards of his day.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    frankjg and panzerman like this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Holding anyone's history to the norms of today seems very foolish. What was considered normal, moral behavior when I was a kid would disqualify a person from holding office by today's standards. I can't imagine holding Greek, Roman, French, English monarchs of the past to today's standards.

12. panzerman

Could not have said it better then Doug and Bing. Josef Stalin killed more people then all the Emperors/ Usurpers of Rome combined, and that was in the 20 th century:(! Then Chairman Mao surpassed him.....

13. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I'll echo the others in saying that these are truly wonderful coins! I would definitely suggest searching around to see if you can find a pedigree for your aureus: it looks Boscoreale-esque and, if not, it has the "warmth" of a gold coin that should have a lengthy pedigree.

panzerman likes this.
  14. octavius

I agree with you - Diocletian was most certainly a capable emperor, if not "warm and cuddly". I included him since he was responsible for the "Diocletianic Persecutions" 303-312, which were the greatest and most thorough the empire saw.
    It is true that something awful could be said about any one of the emperors - Augustus exiled his daughter, Tiberius probably had Germanicus killed out of envy, Caligula , well he was Caligula, Claudius' favorite passtime was to watch grusome executions. But we can only speculate what people will say about us in 2000 years.

15. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

It seems that Galerius, AD 293-311, deserves a place in this lineup of evil doers. In his book COINAGE and HISTORY of the ROMAN EMPIRE, VOLUME ONE: HISTORY, David Vagi writes "Over the years, Galerius' impact upon Diocletian grew immensely, and he is believed to be the principal inspiration for the Edicts that Diocletian issued in 303 and 304 calling for the persecution of Christians and the destruction of their temples and Scriptures." Pictured below is my favorite coin of Galerius, issued as Caesar from the Alexandria Mint, Billon Nummus, 11.39 gm. Jupiter is depicted on the reverse holding Nike on a globe.
    Alexandria follis, Gal. (3).jpg Alexandria follis, Gal. rev (3).jpg

16. Al Kowsky

crazy emoji 2.jpg
    James, what a shocking revelation. LOL.....

panzerman likes this.
  17. Al Kowsky

I haven't seen any examples of Philip I, who plotted the overthrow of a good emperor Gordian III. So here is an example from my collection that sold at a Heritage auction. Antioch, Syria, circa AD 246, Billon Tet., 14.22 gm. Threads like this one usually draw out spectacular examples from CoinTalk members :D.
    100_1745.JPG 100_1749.JPG

18. panzerman

That is a beauty Al, love the reverse!

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

These Philips come in distinct styles produced at Antioch and Rome (MON VRB) for use in the East. I prefer the Rome versions like Al's. Mine are not high grade but I like the styles.
    Rome
    po2347fd3384.jpg

Antioch
    po2350bb2317.jpg po2345fd3333.jpg

20. octavius

A real Knockout portrait!

21. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

The source(s) that scorns Phocas is made by the Heraclians who did have an interest in portraying him as a tyrant. We have no source from Phocas himself to defend him, and thus we actually don't know wheter Phocas was evil or not.

We can't condemn Adele's ex-boyfriends based solely on her songs. We would need to ask her ex-boyfriends what their opinion is. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted