Everything you need/wanted to know about coin and currency storage (almost)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Daggarjon, Apr 20, 2009.

1. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

On my last post I said the diamond pattern of the polypropylene does not touch the coin/s. I WAS WRONG. Rechecking I found that it does touch the coin/s and MAY CAUSE DAMAGE. Therefore USE THIS METHOD AFTER INSERTING THE COIN/S INTO THEIR PROPER SIZE FLIPS.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

did u mention safgard? for currency notes IMHO they are the best

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

IMHO its not about the company who makes the product, but rather the material. Once the collector knows what materials are safe, they can make their decision over what product to use :)

i just didnt want my post to become a comerical for a specific product :p

5. goossen

goossen Senior Member

excellent post! very informative, thanks!!!

6. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Can't believe I missed this post several weeks ago! Awesome info Jon! Thanks for taking the time to type it out. I agree.... should be made a sticky.

7. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

PM the mods. They the ones with the ability to do so :)

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

dear daggar ur becoming like one of those scientific types who cant answer a question. :hammer:

in your opinion is SAFGARD good or not ? :hammer: :hammer: :D

9. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

My appologies :p i didnt catch on you were asking if they were safe. i thought you were just telling us what you use.

I really do not know what the material is thatis used for those. I will have to look into it a little later. If you can find out the material, you will then know if its good or bad. I do think they may use polypropylene ... but im not sure without looking into it.

10. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

Is storing coins or silver round medals inside empty prescription bottles with a couple of those cotton rounds in between each coin a good or bad idea ? I guess one of my concerns is that the cotton rounds could actually scratch the surface of a BU or PR coin.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Your concern is correct, bad idea. If you want to use coin tubes, then use coin tubes, not pill bottles. Personally, I would never use coin tubes though except for circulated coins.

12. rick pine tree

rick pine tree New Member

Been into coins since 1957 and find your efforts for the good of us all to be a real breath of fresh air. I realize it would take time and great effort on your part but,a weekly posting of information of such great benefit to those of us who just have it in our blood would be a revolution in the hobby. Hope to see it happen. regaurdless i appreciate imensley your contribution.thanks

13. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Thanks for post. I get 100 2x2s from my local dealer for 3 dollars. That's the only 2x2 cardboard window ones they sell. I don't know what they're made of, Mylar I assume, but they're just like the ones at shows or other shops. I've been using them for years and have no problem so will continue. Have you noticed that some older 2x2s are not safe? I've encountered ones not so easy to tear the coin through and so I cut around the coin to get it out. These older holders looked aged and I often find some PVC type residue on the coin, so check your coins if you have them. Lastly, what about generic 2x2 holder pages? Some are vinyl and soft, others brittle (prob safer). Since they do not touch coins, are they generally safe? The shop I go to sells them and they have been in business for decades

14. Nel Cris

Nel Cris New Member

Is PCCB coin capsule safe to use for silver and gold coins?.. Thank you in advance!

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Pccb?

Draft saved Draft deleted