"Everything is bigger in Texas" or is it? Coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Topcat7, May 7, 2016.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

You've all heard the saying "Everythings bigger in Texas", well I am not sure about that.
    Are there any Texans who want to disprove this.
    ( NOT part of my collection.)

Magical Snap - 2016.05.08 13.48 - 031.jpg

Alegandron, jello, old49er and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I never thought about this before, but how do you even strike a 1 tonne coin?

Also, I'd love to see the slab that thing would fit in. :p

4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

5. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I agree that Yap 'money' is bigger, and I agree that Canada had a $1,000,000 coin (weight 100Kg), 5 years before the Australian one, but the claim is that the Australian coin (legal tender) is the most valuable coin in the world at US$40,800,000 in 'melt' value for the gold bullion content alone, notwithstanding any 'Premium'. Is that claim 'matched'?

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Alegandron likes this.
  6. Paul M.

I wonder if the largest Yap stones weigh more than 1 tonne? Wikipedia claims that 20 grown men would be needed to move the stones, so it's got to be close.

7. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Yes, Paul, the Yap stones do weigh more, as the article that i read had them weighing more than a car, but that misses the point. I have already acceded to the size and the weight position, but a Ton of 'sandstone' is only worth about $56.00 which by my calculations is well short of A$52,000,000, so what we are talking about is monetary "Value".

Alegandron and Paul M. like this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, that Australian "coin" has been around for five years or so. The Austrian Mint made a 1,000 oz (€100,000) gold coin in 2004, basically to show off, then the Canadian Mint made the one already mentioned here. Guess that is some kind of rat race ...

Christian

9. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@> chrisld - I don't know what coin you're thinking of but the mint date on the one pictured is 2012 so "five years or so" is an exaggeration, but I fail to see the point. How does that impact on the coin's 'monetary value'?

10. KoinJester

Monetary value at time made I'm guessing in the difference in spot price was about $1000 http://onlygold.com/Info/Gold-Price-History-Since-1972.asp

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The media campaign for that Perth Mint piece started in fall 2011, hence my "five years or so" comment. OK, 4½ years only. My point was simply that after the Austrian, Canadian and Australian "giants" we are likely to see an even bigger "gold coin" at some point in the future. So? ;)

Christian

12. KoinJester

I forgotten about Big Phil

13. Paul M.

You know, as annoyed as I am that the Australian guy in the suit is just touching the coin with his bare hands, I don't think those Austrians handling the 1000 oz coin should be wearing gloves while carrying it. Gloves are way more slippery than fingers! Think about what would happen if that fell on your foot. Ouch!

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's one coin I would really love to see in person to be able to see how massive it really is, plus who doesn't love a kangaroo on a coin

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Paul M.

That's not a kangaroo, it's a life-sized wallaby. :p

Just kidding, of course, but with a tonne of gold to work with, they could have actually done that.

baseball21 likes this.
  16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Lol it probably is about the right size.

Draft saved Draft deleted