Featured Every End He Aimed At, Was His Country's

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chris B, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Henry Clay is one of my favorite historical figures. He was an American attorney and statesman who represented Kentucky in both the United States Senate and United States House of Representatives. Clay served as the 7th speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and served as the ninth U.S. secretary of state. He received electoral votes in the 1824, 1832, and 1844 presidential elections and helped found both the National Republican Party and the Whig Party. For his role in defusing sectional crises, he earned the appellation of the "Great Compromiser."

He has a fascinating history that is well worth digging in to. He was a major part of the political landscape of the early to mid 1800s. Interestingly he was the first person to lie in state at the Capitol rotunda after he passed in June of 1852.

One small part of my collection is medal and tokens that relate to Henry Clay.

Clay05.jpg
    1844 Henry Clay Campaign Medal, Dewitt HC-1844-6, MS62 NGC. White metal, 40 mm. Unlike most surviving examples, this one is holed for suspension at 12 o'clock. The high relief medal by Leonard features Henry Clay facing left with the date, 1844, below. The reverse depicts industry and shipping. The brilliant light gray surfaces are reflective and lightly toned.
    From The Rev. Dr. James G. K. McClure Collection.

clay25.jpg

Undated Henry Clay Life Medal -- Improperly Cleaned -- NGC Details. Unc. White metal. Henry Clay was born in 1777 and died in 1852, and his death marked the beginning of the end for the Whig Party in 19th century America. This white metal piece exhibits minor cleaning lines and other trivial marks on each side, retaining brilliant and reflective light gray surfaces.
    Ex: Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society.

HC35.jpg

(1840) Henry Clay, Brass, Low-192, HT-79, DeWitt MVB-1840-1, R.2, VF30 NGC. This Choice VF token has trivial handling marks on its light tan surfaces with mahogany peripheries.
    Ex: Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society.

Henry Clay 1850 06.jpg

1850 HENRY CLAY COMPROMISE COPPER BRONZED MEDAL BY CC WRIGHT
    Diameter: 89.3mm

Please post anything related. Either Clay material or those of his contemporaries.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wish I had something to add but I don't. Good for you, nice looking show! :D

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto

5. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Very interesting. Have you considered preparing an Exhibit for your State, Regional, or National Coin shows? If not I think you should. You have done the research and you have the numismatic material to assemble a prize winning Exhibit. Well done!

-jeffB and Chris B like this.
  6. Chris B

Actually, I did my first exhibit at last year's Chicago ANA show but it wasn't on this material. It was enjoyable and somewhat stressful to be judged by peers. For now, I am going to concentrate on improving my other exhibit. Once I get it to the point it needs to be I may try doing one on the Henry Clay medals.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

@Chris B Peer review should be validation of your effort, and while I'm sure you want to do well, the aim from where I sit is your 'interest in doing'. I hope that the pressure you feel dissipates and allows you to continue to generate enthusiasm in others. I'm a history buff myself, and know more about Clay having read your short narrative. But I'll be looking into this more as a result. There is so much to explore in our US History.

-jeffB and Chris B like this.
  8. Chris B

I agree. I was mostly stressed because it was my first time doing a competitive display. The whole process was new to me. I was happy with the results and got good feedback to build off of.

The history buff in me drives most of my current purchases. I have never had much interest in chasing 70's or set building just to have a "complete" set.

Clay is fascinating to me. I don't think much happened on the national political stage in the first half of the 1800s that he wasn't involved with in some way.

Kevin Mader and -jeffB like this.
  9. Chris B

I'll put this one out there also. It is a modern (1973) piece but I like the imagery.

ClayMedal 03.jpg

I must be the only one that collects this stuff on here. I appreciate all of the comments but I thought there would be more participation with other historical medals.

Kevin Mader and -jeffB like this.
  10. Chris B

Here is the last Henry Clay medal I have.

Clay37.jpg

Category: U.S. Mint Medals - Julian
    Mint: Philadelphia
    Composition: Bronze
    Diameter: 76mm
    Edge: Plain

1852 Henry Clay Personal Medal NGC MS64 BN

This medal is NGC MS64 Brown, with no distracting marks, nice chestnut brown surfaces. Engraved by Charles Cushing Wright and struck at the U.S. Mint. The attribution is Julian-PE-8, Bronze.

The "Compromise" medal shown earlier is Julian-PE-7 so I have both mint medals for Henry Clay.

IrishLuck and Sallent like this.
  11. DENISE selvaggio

DENISE selvaggio New Member

12. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

The Owner/Operator at my LCS is a big medals guy. I'll ask about Clay to see if he has anything in inventory. He's shown me medals in the past and he prefers collecting these over coins. He is also one of the notable antiques guys in the area. A wealth of knowledge!!

Chris B likes this.
  13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Denise, you can not post B/S/T except in the classified forums ( no general forum)after 10 regular posts. Jim

14. Chris B

It has been a while since I was able to add a piece to this collection, but I recently pulled the trigger on this one.

Interestingly it is a mule with a reported mintage of 12 pieces. It requires a little more research on my part. It is in a PCGS holder grades MS64

HC-1844-10 07.jpg

(1844) Medal Henry Clay
    W.H. Harrison Campaign

MS64 Brown PCGS.

Mule, Obverses of DeWitt-WHH-1840-7 and DeWitt-HC-1844-10

Copper-nickel
    Diameter: 40 mm.

Reported mintage of 12 pieces

15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Beautiful and important medals! Thank you for posting them.

16. HWNLOH

HWNLOH New Member

That's a great looking medal! 'Leonard' is Allen Leonard who was born c1801 in Philadelphia and died in 1871. He was a notable silversmith and in 1845 was considered for the position of Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia. Attached is an excerpt from the April 20, 1844 issue of Public Ledger (Philadelphia) which advertised Leonard's Clay medal.

Attached Files:

Chris B likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted