Ever wonder...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinlover67, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

... Why Unc coins found in circulation are still called Unc, when they have "circulated"? I know the difference between the two, but it is one of the crazy questions that comes to in the middle of the night.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Honestly, no.... and because it's a term used to describe a coin's condition/state and not where it's been. I do understand your point though.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Nothing comes to me in the middle of the night after a Clonozapam.;)

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have a few hundred rolls of uncirculated 2004-2006 Westward Journey nickels. Suppose I decided to use some of the rolls to buy a few things at the grocery store. Do you think they would all be "circulated" once the cashier breaks them open?

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think this thread points out, already, why we have a coin grading system, that despite its faults, still is a pretty good deal for the hobby.

oval_man likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

At 12:02 am, I don't think anything. :)

mark_h likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's quite simple, it's because a coin can have actually been in circulation and yet not have any wear on it.

Well, it appears you and I are in agreement. Unfortunately the TPGs are not in agreement with us. For the TPGs claim that wear isn't wear unless it occurs while a coin is in circulation.

Of course there is absolutely no way of determining how and where a coin got its wear, but then that is how the TPGs manage to grade coins as MS that have obvious wear on them.

Isn't it just great how that works ! :rolleyes:

Stevearino, micbraun and Pap4tinker like this.
  9. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Of course this applies more as the value of the coin goes up... ;)

10. Pap4tinker

Pap4tinker Active Member

Funny, my wife was just asking me the same thing. I had to read her the description of coin grades from the red book, ha ha. I agree, it's a name of a grade rather than a determination of where a coin has or has not been.

11. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

"Uncirculated" is a description of the coin's condition and not its history. After all, if I were to pick up a coin I had never before seen I would have to call it "uncirculated" or not based on that because I cannot know its history.

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

What do you think... cabinet friction? :p

[​IMG]

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Grading is subjective. If you don't see any wear, it's Uncirculated whether it actually is or not.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

This is an item in my talk entitled, "Dumb Stuff (I only sometimes use "Stuff") Coin Collectors Say". The word "Uncirculated" needs to be banished from our language and replaced with "Mint State", which also does not mean "Pennsylvania, Colorado, New York or California".

"Uncirculated" has never been a statement of a coin's whereabouts and/or history, and has always been a condition per se, but new people coming into the field apparently have an obligation to repeat previous generations' misapplications of terminology. Why read a book when you can just assume stuff, right?

Kentucky likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

Absolutely this is cabinet friction, if by cabinet you mean years of banging around against other coins in hundreds of people's pockets. Or.... the cabinet might contain a rock tumbler with coarse grit in it.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

How about if they DON'T open the roll...still circulated? How many angels CAN dance on the head of a pin?

17. cpm9ball

Maybe too much "pocket pool".

Chris

18. cpm9ball

So, if it is not "Mint State", then it must be "Former Mint State" which also does not imply that it was North Carolina, Georgia or Louisiana.

Chris;);)

19. V. Kurt Bellman

Not to mention Nevada. Oops, I just did. DARN!

Draft saved Draft deleted