Ever wish you had a coin die in your collection?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Hommer, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

What about a piece of one?

Got this dime today. It has die chips all over it, obverse and reverse, and what appears to be a piece of the die imbedded into Roosevelt's nose. 20151013_155540-1.jpg 20151013_155633.jpg 20151013_155840.jpg 20151013_155905.jpg 20151013_155901.jpg 20151013_160154.jpg 20151013_160249.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

4. Hommer

Would this be considered "Struck Through Die" error?

5. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

That doesn't make any sense. The die is what strikes the coins...how could something be struck through the die itself? I see some die chips, which are recessed in the die, producing a raised anomaly when the coin is struck.

Jim M and jay4202472000 like this.
  6. Hommer

Lol, I was only joking. There is a piece of the die, one of those missing chips, imbedded (struck through) into the nose.

7. non_cents

I don't think there's been a case of the die being embedded into the coin when struck, at least none that I have heard. There have been foreign objects such as staples or hardened grease, but not parts of the die itself.
    http://www.error-ref.com/?s=retained

8. Hommer

I have several strike throughs. That was just the only conclusion I could deduce from this one. I'm sure there have to be other examples of pieces of the die imbedded in coins, after all they don't just vaporize. They go somewhere.

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

All I see is a die chip. I think you are imagining the "piece of the die"

jay4202472000 likes this.
  10. Hommer

Dude, I think that you are imagining you see a die chip.

11. physics-fan3.14

Lets just say the odds are strongly in my favor. Millions of coins have die chips..... none (that I know of) has ever had a "piece of the die embedded in the coin."

12. Hommer

Let's just say the odds are your opinion and not fact.

eddiespin likes this.
  13. non_cents

Alrighty, can you send it in to an expert, or at least provide a little more ample proof of your supposed observations? Closer pictures with arrows and all that?

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I have that on a silver one. I think it's scrap metal.

15. physics-fan3.14

There is an easy way to prove it, of course. If there is scrap metal attached, or a piece of a die attached, the coin will weigh more than normal. Weigh your coin on a high accuracy scale, and tell us the results. If its heavier than normal, I'll concede you may potentially have something interesting. If it is in specifications, however, you have an ordinary die chip.

16. non_cents

I'm not sure if a flake or piece of scrap metal would have significant mass to measure on a scale, and even if the coin had more mass than usual, it could still be within tolerances or be due to another error or anomaly.

17. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I thought this post was going to be about someone possessing an actual coin die from the mint. I won't even bother to research it. I'll just assume that it would be illegal to own one of them.

18. non_cents

It's not illegal to possess one as long as it's defaced, I believe. Otherwise, I'll have some feds knocking on my door soon...

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I would test it with a rare earth magnet if I thought a piece of the die was I'm bedded in the coin

20. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I too have coin dies. Oh My.. Knock Knock.. Who's there? DAVES NOT HERE MAN! if the OP coin is in fact a piece of the die if would or at least I would think it would be detachable or at the very least you could see under a scope that it was a separate piece of metal. Looks like a die chip to me from the pics.

jay4202472000 and rooman9 like this.
  21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

And I though it was about a coin that died in his collection! :dead:
    294-300-VA45.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted