Ever use PCGS TrueView pics to decide whether to buy a coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Sep 23, 2017.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

When deciding to buy a PCGS-graded coin that I can't see in hand, I often will use TrueView pics, if available, to help decide yes or no. Generally, all I've got are the dealer's or auction house's description and pics. Sometimes pics from previous auction sales and TrueView pics are available. On rare occasions, I can have another collector or dealer evaluate a coin for me.

I find it irritating that many folks submit valuable coins to PCGS without requesting Secure service, which automatically generates TrueView pics for the world to see online. It's only $5 per coin. For coins worth a couple hundred or more, it's a small percentage of the value.

I suppose if a dealer is submitting a hundred coins, it's easy to think twice about adding another $500 to the bill. However, they are giving up a valuable and cheap marketing tool.

The pics created by many dealers and some auction houses are crappy (to say the least). I sometimes decide not to buy or bid because I simply can't see the coin well enough. A couple of times I've called a dealer and asked if they could take another pic and send it to me. They did, and it was no help. Always turns out the one on the website is the best they can do. A TrueView pic might have made be buy or bid.

Cal

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

TV's are good and I will of course check them out if they have one when buying, due diligence and all. It gives you a different perspective than general dealer images. When selling a coin however, especially a toner, I find that using @blu62vette's photos if I have them are a huge return on investment over using TV's. I always get solid premiums without question. And I've never had a buyer return a coin or say it didn't look like the pics in-hand.

ldhair likes this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yes, once, with the most expensive coin I own. The seller's images were quite good, but finding the coin at CoinFacts (it was, but no longer is, a plate coin) gave me access to images large enough to minutely inspect the coin for marks hidden under the toning. I might have bought it anyway, but the PCGS images made me far more comfortable that I was getting a coin worth the grade.

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Don't you know you're supposed to trust the slab Dave, duh :p

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't always trust TrueView pics. They are great images but sometimes make the coin look better than it looks in hand. I trust Todd's (blu62vette) images more. Truth is, I like to see every image possible. If I know the dealer really well I may go with any image, knowing I can return the coin without any problems.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Not when I'm gonna eat Ramen noodles for three months to own it, I ain't. Not even with a Bean. :p

I'm currently looking around for this year's Christmas present, along the same lines. Kinda leaning towards a 19th Century minor Proof or a Lincoln Matte.

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

It's only another $5 per coin, on top of the grading fees, PCGS handling fee, shipping to and from PCGS and insurance. It's a lot to expect of dealers to pay all of the foregoing, and then get whacked for free shipping to customers, PayPal fees and the costs of selling on eBay or on one's website.

It would be nice if we could read the minds of all customers before we submit coins for grading, as we could buy TV only for those coins we knew we could charge more for, but we can't. Thus, I've worked harder on shooting better photos, as it allows me to satisfy buyers with my own efforts, and develop a new skill set at the same time.

ldhair likes this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Lincoln Matte? I had the perfect one. Although ramen noodles would look like a kings feast after you were done paying it off lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted